Why does MS use their own version of JVM?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I mean, is it to make things difficult for non-MS user (usual MS practices) or does it hold any advantage over the Sun Java version? It sure makes life difficult for Mac users

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

I mean, is it to make things difficult for non-MS user (usual MS practices) or does it hold any advantage over the Sun Java version? It sure makes life difficult for Mac users

The first.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

The first.

Thought so but one would think Sun could stop them altering the code no?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Sun tried, as a matter of fact.

MS is just really good at weaselling, foot dragging, and manipulating fine print, so this is not an easy task. If they don't want to do something, no number of judges, contracts or lawyers will make them do it.

Their first response to Sun was to drop Java from Windows altogether.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Sun tried, as a matter of fact.

MS is just really good at weaselling, foot dragging, and manipulating fine print, so this is not an easy task. If they don't want to do something, no number of judges, contracts or lawyers will make them do it.

Their first response to Sun was to drop Java from Windows altogether.

What was their argument for changing it (in the court case)? It's just sad that any company can be above the law. It's just sickening
  • Reply 5 of 7
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

What was their argument for changing it (in the court case)? It's just sad that any company can be above the law. It's just sickening

A little info: http://news.com.com/2100-1001-983169.html
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

A little info: http://news.com.com/2100-1001-983169.html

Thanks mate
  • Reply 7 of 7
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    Quote:

I believe they cited speed and compliance. Despite their lack of JNI & RMI support, it passed more compliance tests than sun's JVM.

I'd have to say the real reason is they wanted to splinter java development.