New Windows Strategy?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I listened in disbelief to a Comp USA sales person addressing two customers. Possibly, they had asked about the Mac OS being stable just before I arrived in the Apple section. The first thing I heard was, "That's because Apple just makes an operating system. It is more stable than Windows. But Microsoft takes a completely different approach. They make a program that runs other programs. It is a more unstable because it can do so much more than a Mac. With a PC you can even program, and it is what the programmers use."

The sale person lead the couple back to PC land, and they seemed satisfied with what they were told. It happened so fast that I didn't know what to make of it. Should I be pleased? I never thought I'd hear PC folks admitting the Mac is more stable. Should I be shocked at the gross misinformation conveyed by some misguided sales person? Both I guess. Or is this part of some new sales strategy?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    The people at CompUSA are idiots... They only know their PCs. Don't worry about that... Ignore that whole incident. I bet they do that all the time... Those guys are only really trained to sell the PCs at the store. That's all I gotta say about that...
  • Reply 2 of 16
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

The people at CompUSA are idiots... They only know their PCs. Don't worry about that... Ignore that whole incident. I bet they do that all the time... Those guys are only really trained to sell the PCs at the store. That's all I gotta say about that...

That is exactly right, and the display models they have, suck, the iBook i saw there was brown, i guess it was burned out, they had a 30 gig iPod and i think it was broken, and their 12" powerbooks were scratched so deep, i almost felt the pain myself
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

That is exactly right, and the display models they have, suck, the iBook i saw there was brown, i guess it was burned out, they had a 30 gig iPod and i think it was broken, and their 12" powerbooks were scratched so deep, i almost felt the pain myself

Thanks for the backup macusers
  • Reply 4 of 16
    I always thought the Windows strategy was to copy Apple and that's why Gates likes having Apple stay in business, because who else is gonna come up with awesome stuff for him to copy and grossly f*** up. I guess I was wrong. Stuff like that just makes me want to slug guys like that. How could you be so ignorant and misleading. I want to work at a CompUSA for a day just to beat the crap out of these idiots, just for pure ignorance and idiocy, not because they aren't selling Macs.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

I always thought the Windows strategy was to copy Apple and that's why Gates likes having Apple stay in business, because who else is gonna come up with awesome stuff for him to copy and grossly f*** up. I guess I was wrong. Stuff like that just makes me want to slug guys like that. How could you be so ignorant and misleading. I want to work at a CompUSA for a day just to beat the crap out of these idiots, just for pure ignorance and idiocy, not because they aren't selling Macs.

Much anger I see in this one.

"No, the 970 is slower. Macs don't have even 1 game. They program Mac programs on PCs... because you can only program on PCs - didn't you know? You can't even run Kazaa!!! WTF?!!!! Mr. Jobs is a fat, psychotic DRAG QUEEN!!!!!!!!!!!"

Angry at Compusa,

Bioflavonoid
  • Reply 6 of 16
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bioflavonoid

Much anger I see in this one.

Angry at Compusa,

Bioflavonoid

Touche...lol

Yeah, this is coming from a former Best Buy employee who quit because his manager told him he wasn't pushing the service plans far enough down the customers' throats, even though the managers had received several letters of praise about my kindness, honesty, and knowledge, and on top of that I received the employee of the month award for customer satisfaction. It's ok. I sold a few dozen Macs by recommending them, and customers came back to tell me how grateful they were that I told them about the Mac platform. So i"m a little bitter at major retail chains who choose to misinform customers and are out purely for profit.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

their 12" powerbooks were scratched so deep, i almost felt the pain myself

There should be a crying smiley. They must have had to beat the crap out of it to scratch it.

I can't wait to start working at Staples tomorrow... On the last day I plan to tell every person I can that is looking for a PC to out the store, take a left, and go to ProCam and buy a Mac.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

There should be a crying smiley. They must have had to beat the crap out of it to scratch it.

I can't wait to start working at Staples tomorrow... On the last day I plan to tell every person I can that is looking for a PC to out the store, take a left, and go to ProCam and buy a Mac.

Ooh, playing with fire I see!

P.S. Be careful.

-Bio
  • Reply 10 of 16
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    The CompUSA near me has a horrible Apple section. They have an old iPod on display, it's dirty even thought it's in one of those clear plastic boxes. I don't think they've ever had it on once. Their iBook there really is brown. They have 2 or 3 PowerMac towers there, but if they have one of them on, that's it, never 2 or 3. I'll be wandering around the Mac stuff and a sales guy will come over and ask if I need help with anything. I say I'm just looking around. He'll either tell me about the great deals they have on Dells and PS2 games or he'll just say "alright then" and walk away. If you ask anybody in the store where anything Mac related would be they look at you like you asked if they carried time machines and tell you that you'd have to find their one Mac guy, who is probably out to lunch.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

The CompUSA near me has a horrible Apple section. They have an old iPod on display, it's dirty even thought it's in one of those clear plastic boxes. I don't think they've ever had it on once. Their iBook there really is brown. They have 2 or 3 PowerMac towers there, but if they have one of them on, that's it, never 2 or 3. I'll be wandering around the Mac stuff and a sales guy will come over and ask if I need help with anything. I say I'm just looking around. He'll either tell me about the great deals they have on Dells and PS2 games or he'll just say "alright then" and walk away. If you ask anybody in the store where anything Mac related would be they look at you like you asked if they carried time machines and tell you that you'd have to find their one Mac guy, who is probably out to lunch.

They're gay... No perversion intended. They DO NOT know their mac stuff... NEVER... EVER buy any mac equipment from there... They say they're gonna give you a good deal but I wouldn't trust em. If you wanna get a mac get it direct from Apple.com, an authorized Apple Retail store or from catalogs such as MacMall, MacConnection or MacZone.. etc etc etc. That's my input for now. Ciao!
  • Reply 12 of 16
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    down in texas, dallas, where COMPusa is from btw, they have great mac sections staffed by guys who claim to be from snapple themselves... so I don't know what to say. I will tell you this tho, the incentives they get to sell the PC's are huge, and there is hardly any I think for selling a mac. If I was in the PC sales and service business I'd want to sell a product that f**ks up a lot I mean think about all the money I'd get rolling in from servicing the crap, and people think thats ok, because thats just how computers are...

Microsoft has got it made.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Well, at least they can leak upcoming Apple products: http://www.spymac.com/forums/showthr...threadid=28758 .
  • Reply 14 of 16
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    local compusa near me has a rather nice Apple section... but the staff really do not know anything. Ive heard many salespeople at many similiar retail stores.. just making things up to make a sale. Not sure what can be done about it, but many people out there make their decisions based on wrong info, and beleive its true. Its hard to find even technicians that have a clue
  • Reply 15 of 16
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

down in texas, dallas, where COMPusa is from btw, they have great mac sections staffed by guys who claim to be from snapple themselves...

That's entirely possible, given that Apple fortified a number of CompUSAs with bona fide Apple employees.

Astonishingly enough, this program resulted in a substantial increase in both the quality of the Apple sections in the stores, and in sales of Apple products. No, really!
  • Reply 16 of 16
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

That's entirely possible, given that Apple fortified a number of CompUSAs with bona fide Apple employees.

Astonishingly enough, this program resulted in a substantial increase in both the quality of the Apple sections in the stores, and in sales of Apple products. No, really!

How many did they do that to? Because the poor quality of service and Apple products at the CompUSA near me makes me think that it would actually help sales to pull out from CompUSA.