Iran

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Things are starting to heat up. Large segements are sick of the Ayatollah and not willing to keep quite anymore. What will come next?

Another tiananmen square?

Another red square?

Hummmm? I don't know.

Militia attack Tehran protesters

Security forces and hardline supporters of Iran's conservative leadership have clashed with large crowds in the capital Tehran who were protesting against clerical rule.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    This story should be on the front page.

June 13, 2003

Students Roil Iranian Capital in 3rd Night of Protests

By NEIL MacFARQUHAR

Quote:

TEHRAN, Friday, June 13 ? A third night of student protests outside Tehran University's dormitories exploded into the surrounding middle-class neighborhoods early today, with large gangs of students fighting running street battles against vigilantes armed with sticks and chains. At one major intersection demonstrators hurled bricks at trucks of riot policemen who were rushing to lift barricades and douse fires protesters had ignited in the streets.

The protesters chanted "Death to Khamenei," a slogan that can bring a jail term in this country, where Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran's supreme religious leader, goes unquestioned.

"I've been lashed, jailed for having a satellite dish," said a student, underscoring the simmering social frustrations behind the riots. "It's time to stand up for what we want."

In a nationally televised speech on Thursday, Ayatollah Khamenei accused the United States of trying to foment disorder here and warned protesters that the government would be merciless against those acting in the interests of foreign powers.

Referring to the United States, he said, "If it sees that disgruntled people and adventurers want to cause trouble, and if it can turn them into mercenaries, it will not hesitate in giving them its support."

The protests are erupting as a nervous government is trying to forge a policy toward the United States in the face of renewed pressure from Washington. The fact that they are being fueled by calls to pour into the streets from opposition-run Persian-language television stations in the United States adds to the unease.

"Leaders do not have the right to have any pity whatsoever for the mercenaries of the enemy," Ayatollah Khamenei said, addressing a crowd in the southern city of Varamin.

The public ignored the admonishment, staging in the largest street demonstrations to erupt in this capital in four years. Joining the students were some older government workers and even women dressed in the sweeping black cloaks favored in poorer neighborhoods...

• Reply 2 of 17
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    My good Iranian friend tells me that lately, whenever folks from Iran call their relatives in the states, the most insistent question they ask is, "When are the 'guests' going to arrive?"

It surprises me that the government has, so far, been responding so gingerly to this. I would've thought that a crowd chanting "Death to Khameni" would be grounds for riot police and mass arrests. A sign of weakness and uncertainty? I wonder if the new neighbors have anything to do with it. Also surprising is that it's gotten little play in US media. I'll have to see the NYTimes tomorrow, but today it was buried deep inside that paper and doesn't seem to be on CNN.com at all. On BBC it's front-page news.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    bananabanana Posts: 61member
    Personally I'm feeling torn between my Libertarian, radical, and conservative bits (Oh and just downright 'nice' bits)

With 70% plus of the population there under 25 it's little wonder that there's trouble. Too early to start an entire thread on the nature of Islamic society, but in practical terms Iran could probably be best described as a state coming to terms with the dominant philosophy of the world. (That may be portrayed as American dominance; I disagree)

One world. Many bunches of religious looneys building us all up into a frenzy. Piss off all of you!

( Well, it's better than "can't we all just love each other?)
  • Reply 4 of 17
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

My good Iranian friend tells me that lately, whenever folks from Iran call their relatives in the states, the most insistent question they ask is, "When are the 'guests' going to arrive?"

It surprises me that the government has, so far, been responding so gingerly to this. I would've thought that a crowd chanting "Death to Khameni" would be grounds for riot police and mass arrests. A sign of weakness and uncertainty? I wonder if the new neighbors have anything to do with it. Also surprising is that it's gotten little play in US media. I'll have to see the NYTimes tomorrow, but today it was buried deep inside that paper and doesn't seem to be on CNN.com at all. On BBC it's front-page news.

I have seen and read plenty on this as well as seen a segment on CBS.

It is a good thing that opposition is growing however, if you have been paying attention the hard-liner conservative forces are also growing and feel empowered because they feel that the US has shown itself for what it really is . . . they feel the US IS imperialistic and therefor to open up to our style of secularism is folly. at least that's how its being played by Khameni.

as far as 'Guests' go, if by that you mean a US invasion, and if you mean by that something that should take place then you are thoroughly insane. Iran is no Iraq. and if we want to turn all of the progressive momentum against us at the drop of a hat we would drop bombs on them . . .

Iranians that I know are pro-progressive and yet still feel that American force has been a detriment to the over-all movement. An Iranian friend, who just got back from visiting family, heard it straight from the mouth: even very progressive minded people are ambivalent (at best) with regards to America right now . ..

. . . especially after an invasion on their doorsteps for what reason?!
  • Reply 5 of 17
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by banana

( Well, it's better than "can't we all just love each other?)

No its not . . . that's a perfectly good way of asking the question . . . and without aggression as a point of departure

which would be counter-productive, no?!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    A deep change can come only from the Iranian themselves. And this feeling is growing. In the next decade, there is great chance to see the fall or the Ayatollah dictatorship in Iran.

US can only help in these manner by maintening pressure on Iran. A direct fight is not welcome and be counterproductive. However Bush said he was against a direct fight, but was for pressure. The east block has fallen by itself, i think that the Ayatollah regime will fall by itself too. It's just a matter of time added with a drop of outside help.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Winds of Change has a boatload of links covering this story. (link via Pejmanesque)
  • Reply 8 of 17
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    "Experts" (what would we do without experts?) say that the best thing the US can do is just about nothing. That is don't court the government there (don't want to look like we supported them) and let the people do the work. In fact they say Bush's speech was well done in that he separated the people from the government in his criticism of Iran.

Some Powerful stuff here at the BBC. The power of the internet

I wonder ... with Saddam gone as a threat to Iran if this movement felt it was okay to increase their presence. An outside threat can decrease the volume of voices calling for change. Now with Saddam gone the government can't claim that they have to keep things as they are to repel the threat from Iraq. With no threat to Iran why shouldn't everyday people support change?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    dibdib Posts: 7member
    Hopefully we can inspire the people to rise up. Otherwise, we will need to invade by the end of the year. If we were to invade, we might give each Muslim sect one of the counties to avoid infighting and leave the Kurds in the north of what is now Iraq.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Khatami may turn out to be Iran's Gorbachev.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

"Experts" (what would we do without experts?) say that the best thing the US can do is just about nothing.

Funny. You seem to think you are an 'expert'

As for Iran:

http://www.foreignaffairs.org/200301...evolution.html

Sorry, but the article is pay only.

There's a reason people say we should let it play out on its own. That reason is because some people want to see success.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Minus the hideous birth mark.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

Funny. You seem to think you are an 'expert'

Look who's posting?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Look who's posting?

Look who's posting?

Woo hoo! Enter infinite loop. Forum crashes and burns.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Except that he has no power which he might give up gracefully. And I doubt there's a Gorbachev among the conservative ruling councils.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Minus the hideous birth mark.

That's not a birth mark. That's character.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

That's not a birth mark. That's character.

IT'S GRAPE JELLY!