Retro jerseys?!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Were they out of their minds??!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Especially when their grey ones are so sweet!

Ah, the NBA, never a marketing angle untapped!

Jeff
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Were they out of their minds??!

do you think they lost because of them? or they were just ugly?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    They won once in those against Indiana this year. I thought everyone hated the gray jerseys, but maybe that was when they were losing. anyway, can't blame the throwbacks for the loss. The Nets don't know what to do against the zone. Frankly, I dont think Scott knows, thought they should probably use more Motumbo and backdoor passing.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    i read somewhere that the nets' "throwbacks" are bigger sellers than their actual jerseys.

they do know what to do against the zone, but still, they just pass along the perimeter, and hope someone gets hot outside. only one guy at most was moving without the ball and no one was trying to penetrate.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I don't know if this thread is open to multiple sports, but in the game of hockey, retro jersies are generally not a good thing. Some would argue teams like the Blackhawks and Maple Leafs still wear "retro" styled uniforms.

I personally dislike the over-striped look. I think the Hawks' jersey is pretty cool, but the overal uniform sucks. I think the best jersey and uniform I've ever seen is Vancouver's third jersey, as it uses a really cool "royal blue to maroon" gradient, rather than distinct stripes. And then it has really cool silver trim along the shoulders and down to a vee in the elbow area. It's slick. Plus, the logo is tops.

Colorado also has cool uniforms though I have no idea where the Yeti footprint on the should came from. Pittsburgh's new jersies are excellent as well. Especially the home version.

Most other NHL unis are just OK. Those that "officially suck IMO" include:

Islanders, Rangers, Stars, NASHVILLE, Anaheim (sorry but they suck), Calgary (get rid of the flaming C - aka the "squid" - and horse, then figure out a real logo please), and Philly's home uniform. Orange and white... "da HAIR, da HAIRR! It's terEEble. Always make me puke, PUUUKE!"

• Reply 6 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

can't blame the throwbacks for the loss.

I bet if you look at all the instances where throwbacks were used in the NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA, etc. you'll find that they are statistically worse.

It might just be voodoo black magic, or it might be the lack of the familiar look, who knows. It's a curse!
  • Reply 7 of 15
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

i read somewhere that the nets' "throwbacks" are bigger sellers than their actual jerseys.

Yeah, wh3enever I'm at a Nets game there's so many people wearing those throwbacks from the 70's like they wore last night.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Hey Moogs, remember the green and red Devils unis? Red and green can look fine together but that was one fugly green. As I recall, they changed the green to black in '94, no? So there's your anti-throwback voodoo. There's one uni that, while not offensive, does not excite either. My fav from the NHL was the Dallas third jersey thats now their regular jersey, the star points over the chest and down the sleeve. Could have looked cheesy (and sounds like it from that descrition), but it looked kick-ass. Then there are the Canucks. What the hell do you do for a team called the Canucks?! Oh, an orca thingy with the C, yeah, that's it. They're like the Nets, screwed from their name alone. At least whoever designed the new Nets uniforms made crosshatching that is a nice and relatively abstract detail that refers to, y'know, the nets. I mean, what does Vancouver do short of throwing the Mackenzie brothers on their sweaters?

The new team logos and unis are trying a little too hard to be different. The Charlotte Hornets started it with the teal and purple uniforms. That, along with the collective noun (singluar) team names, are a pet peeve of mine. (Actually, I like the name, "Chicago Fire" of the MLS, but that's about it.) The Spurs are silver and black... and turqoise, hot pink, canary yellow, etc.? If your team has more than three colors, one of which must be white or black, that's just too many. I remember Doc Emrick complaining during one NHL game that while the Washington Capitals' numbers looked nice and facy, they were impossible for him to read. And every game seems to justify a new set of uniform patches. Leave the black bands for deaths, and Keep It Simple, Stupid!
  • Reply 9 of 15
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I'm completely fascinated by sports logos, merchandising, design, etc. Which is odd, because - on balance - I don't give two damns about any sport.

But I'm ALWAYS checking out uniforms, logos, colors, accessories, etc. And yes...tons of them suck really hard. But some are just beautiful and perfect.

There's been a trend lately though that I don't dig: that swooshy, ultra-stylized "mascot in profile with pissed-off look" thing that's been done to death.

That would be a cool job to be in: working for some team and or marketing department and implementing that stuff on other products and uses.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Hey Rotto,

Maybe they shoulda put the Hansen brothers on the Canucks' jersey! Seriously though, that's a perfect example of taking an impossible logo idea and making it work. There are Orca that feed off the coast of Vancouver every year, the C is for Canucks, the Orca is breaking through the ice...perfect!

Calgary, on the other hand, is a perfect example of how to **** up a logo. The flaming C looks like a Squid, the horse is a tie in to the Saddle dome -- the whole concept is just friggin stupid. Even when they were in Atlanta is was a retarded logo (the A thing that looks more like a musical note). While their unis aren't the ugliest, the logos are certainly the dumbest. Frankly the name is kind of dumb too when you think about it.

Canucks, well, you can't have a better name for a hockey team north of the border. Beauteous, EH?

Oh, and the Ottawa third jersey - to give an example of Paul's comment - is extremely gay. Looks like one of those cheezy Dragonball cartoon faces or something. Horrible. The other logo / crest is pretty cool but the plume is too damn big. Figures they're owned by Corel. If Adobe owned the Senators they'd have a cooler logo for sure.

• Reply 11 of 15
    I used to doodle new real and imaginary team names and logos when I was much younger. I think I got into certain sports through graphic design more than anything else. I loved the shields/pseudo-coats-of-arms of European teams too.

My parents tell me that I designed a logo for the Devils when they moved from Colorado, but I didn't like it (I don't like anything I do) and they didn't send it in. My mother to this day refers to the Devils logo as "that wrench with the tail." It will not change for some time though, not until Lou dies or something.

At least people are getting out of the thoughtless and insipid schwoop in everything trend. Hey guys, Nike called and they want their logo back. More traditional stuff is back in though, especially in the NBA, when after FloJo designed the super-fugly Sixers' and Pacers' uniforms in the late 80's and early 90's, people came to their sense a bit. The NBA was bordering on Buck Rogers jumpsuits for a while.

Moogs: Hansen Brothers, of course! The players could just wear thick coke-bottle goggles instead of visors, and have toy cars on their shirts. Maybe the Canucks should just be called the Chiefs instead.

I think Lalime gave the perfect critique of the senators logo too. He has always said that it looks like Marvin the Martian, so he had Marvin painted on his helmet. At least the same Senators is better than Capitals (or is it Capitols?). Too bad Washington didn't design custom helmets.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    I believe "crapitals" is the proper spelling....
  • Reply 13 of 15
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    The Nets can wear whatever the hell they want, as long as they get their ****in asses kicked.

Yea, throwback jerseys are all the fashion rage now...and all that most rappers on MTV or BET talk about.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Back in the day, the playaz on MTV used to talk about rollin' in da six-FO.

Just razzin ya a bit Tiger. I remember I used to catch a fair amount of MTV in my college days. Back when Snoop and Dre were all dat and a bag o' nachos. Or bag o' Eight Ball ... or something. heh. I said ball.....
  • Reply 15 of 15
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Huh? I meant that as a diss to them, I dont even watch MTV or BET anymore. MTV2 has some good stuff sometimes. Same thing with the radio now, I dont listen to that.