IBM MPF PDF now available

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
good gods, could I fit more acronyms in the title??

Well, anyway...

More information with regard to my favourite chip, the PPC 970 has been released by IBM. It comes in the form of a PDF. This particular PDF is the same one they used during the Microprocessor forum in October.

Take a look <a href="http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/techdocs/A1387A29AC1C2AE087256C5200611780/$file/PPC970_MPF2002.pdf"; target="_blank">here</a>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Already been posted in the "CONFIRMED IBM Power PC 970" thread on Page 11.

Thanks though.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    IBM MPF PDF NA
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I downloaded the PDF. However, when I open it up in Preview, it shows thumbnails, but the main window shows a lock. I tried clicking and double clicking and control clicking, but that doesn't do anything.

I tried to open it up in Acrobad, but I get a dialog box that has no message in it except for an OK button.

Photoshop opens it up, but I gotta rasterize it 1 page at a time. (annoying)

anyone else have this problem? I downloaded 2 different copies.

-vasu
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Interesting.

I didn't like the part where the presenter talked about the PPC 970's timeline for introduction. It's beginning to look like the 970 is indeed a year away at best. Combined with the rumors of Apple being the source of this delay (they are supposedly behind schedule on designing the 970's chipset), it is a thoroughly depressing PDF.

• Reply 5 of 10
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    There is an article on <a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1001-965177.html"; target="_blank">news.com</a> claming IBM has released a new server, the p-series 650, that has 8 POWER4 processors. This is not remarkable, until you read the part that says it used a new revision of the POWER4 made on the 130nm process.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>Interesting.

Combined with the rumors of Apple being the source of this delay (they are supposedly behind schedule on designing the 970's chipset), it is a thoroughly depressing PDF.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

How does Apple become the source of the delay? Even if Apple is late developing a custom chipset for use with the 970, it would not affect IBM's production schedule. The 970 would be a priority since the chipset is designed to interface with it, and not the other wasy around. Chipsets often lag behind the release of chips in the computing industry.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    A delay on Apple's side would mean a delay on getting the PPC 970 to the consumer market. Thus late 2003 is when Apple will be ready, although PPC 970s may be fabbed in quantity as soon as early 2003.

It's important to note that this is an old rumor, so I don't know how accurate it is. But I wouldn't put something like this past Apple....after all, when's the last time Apple had to construct a mobo chipset around a modern CPU?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member

<strong>Interesting.

I didn't like the part where the presenter talked about the PPC 970's timeline for introduction. It's beginning to look like the 970 is indeed a year away at best. Combined with the rumors of Apple being the source of this delay (they are supposedly behind schedule on designing the 970's chipset), it is a thoroughly depressing PDF.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Where is a link to Apple being behind on designing a 970 chipset?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    [quote]Originally posted by ast3r3x:

<strong>IBM MPF PDF NA </strong><hr></blockquote>

I like this better: FYI IBM MPF PPC PDF VIA HTTP

[ 11-11-2002: Message edited by: DaveGee ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 10

<strong>

It's important to note that this is an old rumor, so I don't know how accurate it is. But I wouldn't put something like this past Apple....after all, when's the last time Apple had to construct a mobo chipset around a modern CPU? </strong><hr></blockquote>

I can't argue with you too much there, but there is the xserve chipset.

I also won't say Apple hasn't screwed up in the past. However, if the 970 is something they are truly looking to for the future of PPC on Apple, than I think they would be allocating every possible resource to making sure they have a viable product when the chip is ready. That's a whole new mother board, chipset, and maybe even form factor.

Apple knows that we've been waiting for the next generation chip for a while now, and to not deliver would be more painful than the G4 MHz stall.

Just my opinion.