Personal File Sharing

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
My brother and I are new to file sharing. I connect to my brother's computer just fine. My brother, on the other hand, keeps getting the message: "error = 36". Can somebody please tell me what error = 36 means?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ginopiazza49

My brother and I are new to file sharing. I connect to my brother's computer just fine. My brother, on the other hand, keeps getting the message: "error = 36". Can somebody please tell me what error = 36 means?

Check to make sure File Sharing didn't get turned off in the File Sharing pane of the System Preferences. On my computer, for some reason, I turn file sharing on, and somehow it turns itself off. When I go to connect to that computer unaware that File Sharing was turned off, I get the error you're getting.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ginopiazza49

It's just the standard error message that means the file server can't be found. Make sure your personal file sharing is turned on - I suspect that's the most likely problem. If not, maybe try connecting via IP address, although if your brother can see your computer's name in the "Connect to Server" list it shouldn't have any trouble connecting.

Hmm. That reminds me, though, that I think file sharing is one aspect of OSX that could stand an overhaul in 10.3. It works fine if you have some idea what you're doing, but it never seemed intuitive enough to me, from being buried under a menu as "Connect to Server" to producing that awful-sounding "Error -36".
  • Reply 3 of 7
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    have to agree, they should make the file sharing, and connecting to remote servers, much easier to do. Its not very Mac like at all
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Also make sure you have the same domain names.

Go /Applications/utilities and click directory Access.

click on the lock at the bottom and type yer password.

Highlight smb in services and choose configure, type in your desired domain making sure its exactly the same on both machines. As above make sure file sharing is on and then choose go and connect to server through finder.

if you still get the error, it would save a lot of hair pulling if you turned on personal websharing in sysprefs under sharing. note your machines address at the bottom of screen. put all you files you want to share in the sites folder in your home directory, make sure to delete the standard indexfile thats in there. then on the other machine open a browser and type in your address(what you saw when enabling personal websharring) usually http://192.168.0.2/~yourloginname/ not forgetting that final forwardslash.

hope that helps.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    eepeep Posts: 17member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

Also make sure you have the same domain names.

Go /Applications/utilities and click directory Access.

click on the lock at the bottom and type yer password.

Highlight smb in services and choose configure, type in your desired domain making sure its exactly the same on both machines. As above make sure file sharing is on and then choose go and connect to server through finder.

if you still get the error, it would save a lot of hair pulling if you turned on personal websharing in sysprefs under sharing. note your machines address at the bottom of screen. put all you files you want to share in the sites folder in your home directory, make sure to delete the standard indexfile thats in there. then on the other machine open a browser and type in your address(what you saw when enabling personal websharring) usually http://192.168.0.2/~yourloginname/ not forgetting that final forwardslash.

hope that helps.

The SMB 'domain' is actually the Windows SMB Workgroup and would only be relevant when using Windows File sharing not Personal File Sharing which uses AFP (Appletalk or AppleShare? I forget)

If ginopiazza49 is using Windows File Sharing, Ignore my post
  • Reply 6 of 7
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    OT: OS X File Sharing is limited to 10 users connected at the same time. Then you have to buy OS X Server. Right?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    file sharing is OSX's weakest point... "OSX thrives on a Windows network" my ass Steve-o... come to my office and say that.

No one on my network can see me eventhough I have everything enabled... aggghhh... I hate this. Not even SharePoints seems to do it