Linux

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I went to Yellow Dog today for the first time and everything was about Mac's. Yellow Dog linux is even a reseller with preinstalled Linux running on brand new G4 towers. WTF why is Apple letting this happen.

I thought Apple was a pit more impressed with thier own OS?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 2 of 7
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mchenkes

I went to Yellow Dog today for the first time and everything was about Mac's. Yellow Dog linux is even a reseller with preinstalled Linux running on brand new G4 towers. WTF why is Apple letting this happen.

I thought Apple was a pit more impressed with thier own OS?

Holy Christ. You need to stop posting, or at least creating threads.

Apple has absolutely nothing to lose from this... never mind, I'm not even going to try and explain this.

Quote:

A Unique Apple Reseller

Terra Soft, an Apple Authorized OEM VAR (Value Added Reseller) has been granted a unique license to install Yellow Dog Linux on Apple computers and maintain full Apple hardware warranty for home, commercial, education, and government customers.

• Reply 3 of 7
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mchenkes

WTF why is Apple letting this happen.

Because an open platform sells more computers, duh.

Lots of linux developers use Mac portables now. Clustering using Black Lab Linux is apparently very good.

Apple is in the business of selling computers. If people demand that Linux runs on their computers, then so be it.

Barto
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mchenkesmchenkes Posts: 11member
    Thanks that info is something I had not thought of before. I had always thought of linux as the number one market competition for OSX. So thaks for the info.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mchenkesmchenkes Posts: 11member
    Thanks that info that is something I had not thought of before. I had always thought of linux as the number one market competition for OSX. So thaks for the info.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I remember seeing a YDL guys at an Apple Event to highlight Mac use in science. Turns out the altivec is a nice little number cruncher. When I was there the Apple rep was trading contacts with the YDL guys.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    Quote:

I had always thought of linux as the number one market competition for OSX.

It isn't like x86 hardware where you can buy a machine without paying for an OS. If you paid Apple for the machine, you paid for the OS too. Either way, Steve made his money.