Macs on QVC...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I think I brought this up nearly two years ago (but a lot has changed since then, so let's revisit it, shall we?).

I watch QVC all the time (don't even start) and with Apple's whole focus on the digital hub thing, part of me thinks "could Macs be sold on QVC and do worth a damn?"

I really think they could.

I was watching some earlier today and they had a digital camera hour and they were selling some cameras and then were also hawking some PCs. They'd demo the cameras being hooked to the machine and then brought up, cropped, printed, etc. On three separate occasions (due to hardware, software or a ditzy, clueless host) things didn't go as smoothly and cool as they should've.

And they take calls from people during these segments and there were TONS who don't currently own computers, but - because of this segment they were watching today - are ordering some tower/monitor/inkjet/camera bundle today and all gushing with anticipation at their new purchase.

Do not tell me that some attractive, personable Apple reps could not get on there with some iMacs, iBooks or eMacs (and the iPod too!) and have half of America eating out of their hand within an hour.

Don't tell me that the "digital lifestyle and media" solutions on the PC side are ANYWHERE near as elegant, easy-to-master and fun to use as those on the Mac (specifically iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes...and bring it all together with iDVD).

A national (maybe international?) audience. People with money to spend (they'll buy camcorders, Tiffany lamps, Birkenstocks, nice jewelry, Craftsman tools and down comforters/bedding all live long day from the channel).

Actually, as of now they're doing a digital camera segment again. Go turn it on and watch. Substitute the two current goons on there now with some hip, funny and engaging Mac demo pros, show iPhoto. Show iTunes and the iPod. Show AirPort. Show iChat. Show iMovie and then iDVD.

People who don't own a computer and, therefore, aren't tied to any particular platform AND who aren't corrupted by all the bullshit and myths out there ("Larry, my brother-in-law says that Macs crash and they can't open up word processing files and you can only do color graphics on them and they don't come with a mouse and he said they're going out of business and that Dell is buying them and they only come in sissy colors and..."). This genius brother-in-law, by the way, wouldn't know RAM from a popsicle, AND has his monitor installed upside down...but he's giving computer advice to all his co-workers and relatives. Jeez...

What an opportunity to finally BLOW THAT SHIT OUT OF THE WATER, once and for all!

To me, seems there is a HUGE untapped ocean of people out there. Too green and intimidated to go strolling into CompUSA or Circuit City, but would love to get into this "e-mail thing" or get a digital camera and a first computer.

Apple, anyone listening?

QVC, on large dollar items (jewelry, electronics, etc.) offers "flex pay" set-ups (break the price up into 3, 4, 6 or whatever payments).

A $1000 eMac could be bought and paid for by Halloween, if the person needed to do that. They'd have a spiffy machine that does all this digital lifestyle stuff.

AND, while they're on and have the ear of America, the Apple reps could do a little myth-debunking, evangelizing and otherwise presenting the hardware, software, OS and company itself in the most positive, intriguing light. Better and more engaging and informative than any of their lame commercials have been for the last three years!

Two hours on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon could possibly make HUGE inroads and go toward knocking down some of the barriers currently faced by Apple (customers not really sure if they should - or could - "go Mac").

If Apple's looking to truly "bring people over" and increase marketshare, I can't think of a more concrete, smarter way to help with that.

For those who don't know, QVC is a pretty high-end, classy operation. Its hosts AREN'T the ones on selling swords, knives and coins and screaming in the camera and generally acting like asshole used car salesmen. That's those other 2-3 "shop at home" channels.

QVC isn't cheesy and have a style/vibe unlike any of the other networks that do this stuff. Check it out sometime, then compare it to the others. You'll see what I mean.

It's L.L. Bean and the others are Dollar General Store. Know what I mean?

Anyway...another good idea that'll never get used.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    The problem: Apple wants to present itself as "cool" and "hip." Companies with stores in SoHo don't sell products on QVC.

One of the appeals of Apple products are that they are "sexy" and non mainstream (botique like).
  • Reply 2 of 15
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Then how does that jibe with their race to convert all the newbies, PC users, on-the-fence types, etc.

Their sole focus, it seems to me, has been consumers. All kinds. Not always the "hippest" or "coolest" bunch going, you know?

Do you want more marketshare and EVERYONE digging your stuff, OR do you want to appeal to only a small segment of the pie and continue to occupy Nicheville for the next decade or two?

I don't buy your argument at all. Did you say the same thing when Apple was selling their stuff in Sears and Circuit City? And if they team back up with Best Buy, same thing?

I don't exactly consider Sears any sort of trailblazer in hipness or trendy style, you know? Their problem was that they set the iMacs there, let them languish and fall into disrepair and had no salespeople there who gave a shit about them.

Canon, JVC, Sony, HP, Epson, Kodak all routinely sell their wares on QVC. Well-spoken and trained, enthusiastic reps come on from the company and team with the host to make this stuff look as cool, easy and inviting as possible...and the phones apparently RING OFF THE HOOK (I'm just thinking of tech-oriented companies...I could list clothing, jewelry, tools, furniture, kitchenware, home & gardening, etc. makers and companies that just as well-known and cater to all types).

It's elitist and offputting "you might not be cool enough for us..." thinking and attitudes that MIGHT'VE gotten Apple in the position they're in, you know? Ever think of that?

I totally disagree with your post. You've never seen QVC and I think you have the audience and vibe completely misjudged/tagged.

$1500 from some regular-guy Hank Hill type (who didn't even know what a Mac was or that Apple even existed, until he saw it on TV one afternoon and went "wow!") is just as appreciated and valued as $1500 from some New York City type with a black turtleneck, a funky goatee and $850 shoes.

I sincerely hope and pray that Apple recognizes and believes this.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    i wouldnt mind seeing that at all, id prolly just flip to QVC just to see it even though i wouldnt buy off there.

There is many many things Aple could do to sell more, and they dont do it... we can specualte all we wont, but we will never really know why.

Almost everyone i run into have heard of Apple and Macs, but know absolutly nothing about them, because the info just isnt being thrown out there as much as Windows based PCs
  • Reply 4 of 15
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    I have to agree with 'scates on this one. Just last weekend I was helping my aunt and uncle get on into the computer age (the revolution "passed" them up, as it did hundreds of millions of people out there). They had this hand-me-down P-O-S PC with an IBM monitor that was too old to properly display the signal from the machine (i.e.; they couldn't see anything, and they had just a few days earlier cancelled their internet service because of it). I was gracious and drove up (a short ways) with a 17" monitor we had hanging around the house (replaced with a flat panel)...and a packet of materials off Apple.com.

My uncle (a former Vietnam Navy Seal) and his wife are extremely technology-rudimentary; they just got a DVD player and love it. But despite this, they already have become disgusted with owning a computer in an external fashion. That is, they can't stand the cables and connections and "you need this to be compatible," etc. My uncle looked at me and said, "One day, I wanna see them build a thing with everything in it! Where you don't have all this junk going everywhere!"

Heh, my packet of materials (spurred by this remark before I got the monitor) was centered around the eMac, a perfect solution for them. And when I brought up how if they got a digital camcorder and/or camera they could burn DVDs with slideshows and home movies from trips to wherever (he goes to Daytona every year for the race -- which my aunt would like to see personally ), their mouths dropped.

They're not alone. There are people who know literally nothing about what computers --- most especially Macs --- can offer now-days, without much complication at that (especially with rock-solid OS X).

QVC would be a tremendous conduit between Apple and the computer-ignorant.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I've seen some of those segments when they are hawking computers and the people doing them are absolutely terrible. If they can sell a POS like they usually do, the would have Macs fly off the shelves. That said, though, I'm not sure I'd like the 'stigma' of being sold on QVC. :/

But the macs would fit right in because usually those comps are way overpriced.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Again, I think some of you have a completely wrong and skewed idea of QVC. They're actually pretty sedate and low-key, compared to HSN, Value Network and the others (which do indeed seem to have a slimy, "used car salesman" vibe to them).

In all my years of watching QVC, I've never gotten that "cheesy, low-rent" feel from them.

And regarding this "stigma"...how could it be worse than being sold at a Sears or Best Buy where keys are missing, mice are stolen, the screen is frozen and the salespeople are completely untrained on Macs...or worse, don't give a flying rip about them, one way or the other. CompUSA and Circuit City have also been guilty of "less than knowledgeable salesperson-itis".

Now THAT'S a "stigma" and a blight on the line. QVC would be a HUGE improvement over some of the situations I've seen Macs presented in over the years.

Again, how could attractive, savvy and enthusiastic Apple reps, showing off the iApps and the general "Mac way of doing things" be anything but good? Every one of us here on this board eats that stuff up when Jobs or Schiller does it in front of a crowd of, let's face it, the "already converted" (more "preaching to the choir"). Why deny the rest of America this coolness? Do you think Marge and Hal from Des Moines are aware of Macworld Expo, much less plan on attending?

No, so we go to where they are.

You doubting Thomases and people hung up on appearing a certain way (elitist, trendy, etc.) are just goofy...and, dare I say, perhaps part of the problem?

• Reply 7 of 15
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Several years ago, QVC did offer the original iMac. One of the problems, is mark up... there is practically none on Apple products. QVC does a brisk business selling the Bose Wave radio by the way.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    I think Apple should expand beyond a niche but like Target they should appear to be Cool / Trendy and unique even if iBooks are produced on a mass scale.

The Apple Stores seem like the best option to push this. May be hold "switcher" nights with free food / music to bring even more people into the store. Run advertisments on local TV to promote the event etc. Give a 10% discount to first time buyers.

The one problem being that a large part of the crowd would already be Mac users.

Apple should also hold small-buisness nights to offer networking / training for people who own buisnesses and have already switched or are thinking of switching.

Building personal connections is important in sales. Face to face communication with an Apple Sales person does this. A talking head on TV doesn't.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Doesn't hurt, though, does it? Is it truly and "either/or" thing to some of you?

We can't do everything, so we should do nothing?

I don't get it.

News flash:

NOT EVERY CITY HAS AN APPLE STORE. EVERY CABLE SYSTEM CARRIES QVC.

Do the math.

• Reply 10 of 15
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    I don't see it happening--no matter how much you scream and shout, QVC = QVC. I doubt that Apple could be persuaded otherwise, but maybe you should write them a letter and try.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Well I don't "see it happening" either, mr. That's WHY I started this thread.

Yes, sprinkled Apple stores throughout the country, neglected Macs at various retailers and next-to-no impactful, status-changing "marketing" is apparently the best the company can do.

Heaven forbid we step out of those wonderfully performing, narrow approaches.

\

I really wish someone here could coherently convey what, exactly, is so awful and offensive about QVC that their precious Macs couldn't/shouldn't be sold on it.

So far, everything offered is either completely ignorant of reality (obviously never seen the network...QVC is obviously 'Hee-Haw' with a credit card) or, worse, hinges on some sort of "well, it's too hip and trendy a company...we'd hate to lose that appeal...".

For a computer that was originially touted as one "for the rest of us" (and with OS X and the iApps in full-swing, that's even more the case these days), seems that many want anything but.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Apple doesn't make the final decision. QVC decides what is sold on their network. Perhaps they don't think it is worth it. I worked for a company that sold some products on QVC. The first time, reaction was so poor that the offer lasted on air about 15 minutes. An additional spot several hours later didn't do much better. Bye, bye. Perhaps the iPod........
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Okay, when was this? Bondi iMac days? First-gen tray-loading fruit iMac days?

Hardly any USB peripherals to speak of? RAM for the thing costing a gazillion dollars? No OS X in sight? Certainly none of the iApps in sight. No iPod, no consumer-level G4, no 32MB graphics, no combo drives, no FireWire, no SuperDrives, no AirPort, etc.

Well no shit...I BET it didn't go over too well!

Back then, the Apple buzzword wasn't "digital hub". There was little to no focus or effort on grabbing "switchers" or appealing to consumers/newbies, other than the iMac (and later iBook). But it was simply OS 9 and what...Acrobat Reader, SimpleText and Calculator?

Would you not agree that today, it's quite a bit different on every level? Would you, in any way, shape or form, equate or compare OS 9, a lack of USB peripherals and no iApps to the current cool-ass offerings?

I hope not!

I mean, is it REALLY fair or accurate to compare a lackluster experience 3-4 years ago with the hardware, software and OS that are available now?

No, it's not.

And if Apple can't convey that to the higher-ups at QVC (or any other place that "has a bad taste in their mouth" from past experiences with Macs), then they're not trying very hard, are they?

I think in several paragraphs above, I pretty effectively highlighted what's different today than 1998/1999.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    I just get a bit irked when it seems that my favorite company often seems to just "lie there" and think that, through osmosis or channeling, people are just going to suddenly "get it" and buy a Mac.

So many ****ing wasted opportunities, over the years. Such ball-less, do-nothing marketing. Such complacency and seeming willingness to "be happy with what they've got".

And then to have so many fellow Mac-heads and devotees throwing up the goofiest, lamest reasons why things could/should/couldn't/shouldn't be done, based on little more than "it didn't work before" (debunked that), "they're too hip...don't want to appear less so" (addressed that),

Just pisses me off, between Apple themselves and some of you. I won't lie.

Oh well...not the end of the world.

• Reply 15 of 15
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "I totally disagree with your post. You've never seen QVC and I think you have the audience and vibe completely misjudged/tagged."

Sigh. Read my post again. I don't give a sh!t about QVC one way or the other, but I think you have a snowflake's chance in hell of convincing Apple to market there. Perhaps your enegy is better spent sending them letters, rather than lecturing others about their biases?