Father's Day...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
...it's hard to remember when it is after your father's passed on. The 15th, right?

Well, my brother has almost finished a book on his life and he asked my sisters and I to add a short story or memory experience for it. I thought I'd share it since it's that time again...

My Father's Eyes

My Dad had very penetrating eyes. Not of an intrusive glance but look of love, caring and concern. I could look into them and sense these qualities. They were attentive. Sometimes when I was doing chores, shooting baskets in the backyard or enjoying a family gathering I would sense Dad watching and smiling. Those eyes seemed to say that he was there, ever ready to advise, care and certainly join in if the need arose.

Sometimes I felt a little nervous of them. Whenever I would be mowing the lawn or doing other things on my own Dad would appear, watching through the window or outside on the back porch. Why is he watching me? I would think. I know now it was just his way of being ready to help or instill some encouragement with the task.

Through good times and bad, my Dad was always there. Always with his love and understanding. Those qualities shined through in Dad's eyes. They gave me a sense of security when I felt alone and understanding when all seemed lost. They were in a sense my father's presence. That he was there when a father was needed to be there.

When Dad passed away, I felt that those eyes have closed forever. But I know that my father's eyes remain open, through my brother and sisters eyes and my own. There is also the faith that he still watches us all. And with those thoughts and feelings that presence is there with each of us until one day we all see those wonderful eyes again.

...hope yours has a good one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Holy shit. My post is 1910 on that one. That was when he was born...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    reminds me of the Clapton song

Sailing down behind the sun,

Waiting for my prince to come.

Praying for the healing rain

To restore my soul again.

Just a toerag on the run.

How did I get here?

What have I done?

When will all my hopes arise?

How will I know him?

When I look in my father's eyes.

My father's eyes.

When I look in my father's eyes.

My father's eyes.

Then the light begins to shine

And I hear those ancient lullabies.

And as I watch this seedling grow,

Feel my heart start to overflow.

Where do I find the words to say?

How do I teach him?

What do we play?

Bit by bit, I've realized

That's when I need them,

That's when I need my father's eyes.

My father's eyes.

That's when I need my father's eyes.

My father's eyes.

Then the jagged edge appears

Through the distant clouds of tears.

I'm like a bridge that was washed away;

My foundations were made of clay.

As my soul slides down to die.

How could I lose him?

What did I try?

Bit by bit, I've realized

That he was here with me;

I looked into my father's eyes.

My father's eyes.

My father's eyes.

My father's eyes.

My father's eyes.

My father's eyes.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    That is very nice Artman I too remember my Dad with so much love. He made me who I am today. I reflect at the time he put into my life and I am forever thankful for who he was and what he means to me.

God Bless everyone and their families..

Dale "fellows"
  • Reply 4 of 5
    enaena Posts: 667member
    As Garrison Keillor said "You are a child until you have children."

Until you fill his role you have a limited idea of what his job was and how much it took to fill those shoes. You can empathize---but it only goes so far.

As a father you give more effort than is precieved to generate the unappreciated (until much later).

Fathers deserve our respect and admiration. Good fathers are a gift. Treasure them while you can.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Thanks Artman. That's a great thought you shared. While we're at it, I'd like to say Happy Dad's day to all the fatherly types here on the board. I believe Mr. Russell is celebrating his first Father's Day as a Dad ... so here's to all you guys.

*raises his bottle of Bud Light*