"970 Powermacs in September", chirped the little bird

Comments

• Reply 81 of 206
    bootsboots Posts: 33member
    The alleged '222' machine would be perfect for the fence-sitter would-be Switchers out there. I know a lot of these people that want a fast Mac to play with but don't want to pony up for another display - the only option for them is a G4 tower.

Switchers already own displays. Sell them a killer Apple display the second time around instead, but get them on board with a low cost tower.
  • Reply 82 of 206
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Well, a couple points. What does number of posts have to do with credibility?I doubt Workerbee had hundreds of posts and we all know how that went. Not saying I believe the guy, but give him a break...this IS a rumor site.

Assuming he is right...maybe the "222" and "666" could be just two categories.

222: Consumer

One affordable system, and one a little less affordable.

The "affordable" system would be close in pricing to the iMac. The difference would be that the iMac is all in one, whereas the "affordable" system has no monitor and is expandable and is a single processor.

The "less affordable" would be in the price range of today's least expensive PowerMac. A nice dual for those who need and WANT power(at a nice price point), but don't really NEED uber power.

666: Pro machines.

This category would be for pros who need all the power they can get. All the expandibility they could need. Two models:

Uber power:

Fastest duals available

Hyperpower:

Quads anyone?

Ok, maybe no quads yet, but just one model BTO.

Apple needs something NOW. PowerMac sales are ridiculously low and the Mac faithful NEED more power NOW.
  • Reply 83 of 206
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    Hmm, go to www.macosrumors.com and he says almost the same thing as Dapper about PCI, hypertransport, DDR400, 8x AGP and a mix of dual and single CPUs and that 970 will be shown but not realeased.
  • Reply 84 of 206
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

Trust me you'd be suprised what pro's do, its not like a video gaming card, or just a regular video card, I need component input/output, 16bit audio in/out, as well as firewire,

You might need Aja Io
  • Reply 85 of 206
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Half right and half wrong. I think I got it:

The production lines are going full speed...( the part he got wrong)

Announced in August, shipping in September(the part he got right).

2 for 2 baby....2 grand salamis
  • Reply 86 of 206
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

More likely is a scenario under which the PowerMac retains its entry-level single CPU model (1.4GHz, single DDR400 memory bank) and two dual-processor models (2X 1.6GHz and 2X 1.8GHz, a separate DDR400 bank for each of the processors) -- with the Xstation, if it does indeed see the light of day, premiering in dual and quad processor versions.

That's more like that I'd like to see Apple do. Bit of 'Desperate Dan's' ideas of 'tiered' 'Power'Macs but with what we've got used to plus a REAL Workstation 'X-Station'. Talkin' quad here!

999. (It's so fast, I took my head clean off. Medic.)

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 87 of 206
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mania

Hmm, go to www.macosrumors.com and he says almost the same thing as Dapper about PCI, hypertransport, DDR400, 8x AGP and a mix of dual and single CPUs and that 970 will be shown but not realeased.

All those technologies are kind of obvious.

8x AGP has been shipping for probably a year now. Apple didn't really need to rush as the advantage over 4x are nominal.

DDR400- This is another "no brainer" Dual Channel DDR 400 provides the necessary 6.4Gbps throughput that the 970 1.8Ghz supports. DDR 333 is not out the question either but it would be more limiting.

Mix of Single/Dual Procs. We have that now with Single on the lowend Powermac and Duals on midrange and high end. Nothing new here.

Hypertransport- Not really a suprise. Apple has been on the HT committee for quite some time.

You want to suprise me tell me how Apple plans to offer Audio I/O. That's more of a darkhorse than any of these other technologies.
  • Reply 88 of 206
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

but get them on board with a low cost tower.

Agreed.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 89 of 206
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    can any one rember how long it takes to get macs ramped up and shipping.?

maybe in comparison to the pmg4?

three months just seems way too long to me.
  • Reply 90 of 206
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by neutrino23

[B]I wish Apple wasn't so completely secretive. I understand they want to keep things from the competitors and such.

-------------------------------------------------------------

What competitors??? There are none, for better or worse. What are the PC makers going to do, copy outmoded case designs?

Apple is concerned, with justification, that if word of their products gets out to the current user base those who may be sitting on the sidelines waiting to make a purchasing decision may go ahead and make one...for a PC. Apple is not faced with immediate extinction, but they remain in a descending spiral where their slow, inefficient and occasionally not very good management keeps putting them in situations where the prospects of the company do not improve much.

Apple seem unwilling to do whatever is necessary to increase the installed base of users so as to spread out the development costs, which would ultimately result in a healthier company.
  • Reply 91 of 206
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Quark 6...

Can you people get this into your heads - the release of XPress 6.0 will not lead to some massive leap in sales of pro Macs nor of a leap in the adoption of X.

XPress users are still using v3 and v4, I hardly ever see anyone using 5.0 and 5.0's adoption has only been boosted by Quark giving everyone who upgrades to 5.0 free upgrades to 6.0 (not that they'll get used or installed).

So, really, just stop with the "Quark 6.0 will save our souls", it isn't going to happen.
  • Reply 92 of 206
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dapper Dan

Larger case "666": Dual PPC 970 CPUs, one bank of RAM for each CPU with 6 RAM slots each, AGP 8X, 6 PCI slots. 2 optical drive bays. Two Serial ATA channels with room for 6 HDs. This mobo has a few other perks compared to the 222, and they will be a nice surprise in their own right.

You can't put 6 DIMMs on a channel; the loading would be way out of spec. Think 2, maybe 3.

As others have pointed out, Serial ATA is one drive per channel. Of course, Apple could build as many channels as they want; I have no info there.
  • Reply 93 of 206
    actually, one of the reasons why apple does this _as stated by steve jobs_ is that when they do a rollout - the press they receive is worth about 70 million in ad dollars.

that's 70 million apple did not have to spend. free. gratis. pure gravy.

if things leak ahead of time then the press is less likely to care since they might have already done a story or two on it and its "ho hum" to them.

Quote:

Apple seem unwilling to do whatever is necessary to increase the installed base of users so as to spread out the development costs, which would ultimately result in a healthier company.

So the whole apple store thing, and the FACT that half the people buying macs from them are NEW/SWITCHERS is apple "unwilling" to increase their market share?

you are aware we are in a recession?

you are aware that PC hardware sales across the board in the dumper?

you are aware moto has held apple hostage for the past few years?
  • Reply 94 of 206
    Quote:

Can you people get this into your heads - the release of XPress 6.0 will not lead to some massive leap in sales of pro Macs nor of a leap in the adoption of X.

art school moves to osx due to quark

depends on what you mean my massive

all i know is that the number one reason why creative / ad agencies are not moving to OSX is quark.

of course OSX market share will not double over night but quark WAS a problem. now that problem has been solved.
  • Reply 95 of 206
    Quote:

Originally posted by lucida

The '222' and '666' actually refers to the case size, in mm.

The 222 is a short, fat cube 2.

The 666 is a proper tower, looking like a couple of 222's stuck together but with extra vents.

The striking part is the depth of the cases - both only 222mm.

Truth or dare? Tuth or speculation?
  • Reply 96 of 206
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Baloney as usual. The only individuals that know what is coming are a few in Cupertino.... and they aren't telling. NDA has been fortified so there are no reliable leaks. As usual...... pre announcement "hopes" rather then facts.

There are a lot of people in Austin who know, but they don't say much.
  • Reply 97 of 206
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lucida

The '222' and '666' actually refers to the case size, in mm.

The 222 is a short, fat cube 2.

The 666 is a proper tower, looking like a couple of 222's stuck together but with extra vents.

The striking part is the depth of the cases - both only 222mm.

So they're coming out with 9" and 26" high versions?
  • Reply 98 of 206
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    WMF I feel your pain man I'm asking everyong I know whoever they may be second nephew to his uncles step sister, but i still ask, and to no avail.
  • Reply 99 of 206
    apply liquor.
  • Reply 100 of 206
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    ...liberally..