G5, 64bit Panther, 32bit applications, peripherials, and drivers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Since what I am talking right now involves different stuff between OS, hardware, and peripherials I think General Disucssion will be a better place. Of course if moderators don't agree with me feel free to move this topic elsewhere...

Panther will be a 64bit OS. When running on G4 or G3 it will be running at 32bit.....so no concern

However...my "concern" is....When Panther is running on G5 machines. Then the OS will be at 64bit.....

I know the OS and hardware are backward compatible. But so far what I have heard is only to the "regular" apps that don't care about hardware. What about those apps that really talk to hardware?

-Audio software that need to talk to audio hardware.

-Video software that talk video cameras, deck, etc...

-Printer, Scanner drivers

Assuming these software will stay at the 32-bit level....wondering if they all will work normally under Panther with G5.......

I would like to get a new tower sometime in Christmas or Spring of next year. I have couple of expensive apps that talk to my peripherials and hardware. I don't want to waste thousands of dollars to update my apps to make it "work" with the new OS/hardware combination.....

Programmer, Amorph.....any clue on this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    I'm really worried about this as well, mainly because I do a lot of DV, and well if I updated to Panther and convinced my boss to get me a new machine, would it affect me? What about filters, and such as well or is that ok for the code to still be 32 bit?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

I'm really worried about this as well, mainly because I do a lot of DV, and well if I updated to Panther and convinced my boss to get me a new machine, would it affect me? What about filters, and such as well or is that ok for the code to still be 32 bit?

Filters are just fine.

What I concern about is the apps that talk to hardware.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    There's no reason to worry about any of this. Most people will keep everything at 32 for a long ass time. Apple will have to move stuff to 64 before a lot of stuff moves to 64. In the ideal world nothing outside the kernal has to worry about 32/64.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    If you're running a 64-bit kernel you need 64-bit drivers.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    says who?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member