WINE on OS X?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Will that ever happen? That would be awesome. I could run soooooo many games. That would be kickass. Since OS X is a sort of Unix it shouldn't be too hard to port... should it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    WINE = WINE is not an emulator.

WINE is not emulating a processor thus unable to run any Windows apps on a PowerPC even if it was ported.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Wine Is Not an Emulator

So no

Plus emulated games suck.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    It could be ported.

However, there'd be very little you'd be able to run - you'd need programs that used the Windows APIs but were compiled for PowerPC. In a word, none.

Amorya
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

Will that ever happen? That would be awesome. I could run soooooo many games. That would be kickass. Since OS X is a sort of Unix it shouldn't be too hard to port... should it?

YES

There is a chance it could happen. Start here: http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Does it need X11/Fink/Dev Tools installed to run?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I downloaded the source and here's what error it gives me:

[******-******'s Computer:~/qemu-0.3] bob% ./configure

Install prefix /usr/local

Source path /Users/gasparhe/qemu-0.3

ELF interp prefix /usr/gnemul/qemu-i386

C compiler gcc

make make

host CPU powerpc

host big endian yes

target CPU x86

target big endian no

gprof enabled no

static build no

Creating config.mak and config.h

config.h is unchanged

[******-******'s Computer:~/qemu-0.3] bob% make

gcc -Wall -O2 -g -DHAVE_BYTESWAP_H -D_GNU_SOURCE -c -o elfload.o elfload.c

thunk.h:27: header file 'byteswap.h' not found

cpp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in basic mode

make: *** [elfload.o] Error 1

[******-******'s Computer:~/qemu-0.3] bob%

Would I need to have X11 installed for the X Window Environment to be present? I also tried to compile WINE..... Any suggestions on that? I'll reinstall X11 for OS X tomorrow.......
  • Reply 7 of 12
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Well there was NT for PPC... I wonder how much it sucked? The famousmred that is interesting but I don't see how it will run Windows programs?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    The short answer is: it will never work (even if you got it to compile).

Use VPC, or buy a $200 PC from wallmart to play games on.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

Would I need to have X11 installed for the X Window Environment to be present? I also tried to compile WINE..... Any suggestions on that? I'll reinstall X11 for OS X tomorrow.......

Sounds like you need the byteswap.h header

That's the header in that emulator that swaps the bytes from big to little and little to big. So you can run x86 programs (written the other way from PPC) in LittleEndian.

Or you could modify the source to switch the G4 into BigEndian mode, and not compile with byteswap.h.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

That's the header in that emulator that swaps the bytes from big to little and little to big. So you can run x86 programs (written the other way from PPC) in LittleEndian.

Or you could modify the source to switch the G4 into BigEndian mode, and not compile with byteswap.h.

You're a cruel man Barto

Quote:

Would I need to have X11 installed for the X Window Environment to be present? I also tried to compile WINE..... Any suggestions on that? I'll reinstall X11 for OS X tomorrow.

Yes and no. If it requires the X Window Environment you will need X11 to run it. To compile it you will need the X11 SDK which is also available from Apple. Also for the reasons previously stated (ie. WINE not being an emulator) WINE will not work, even if you did manage to get it to compile. It relies upon running on an x86 CPU.

WM
  • Reply 11 of 12
    alex_kacalex_kac Posts: 58member
    Actually...having WINE on OS X would be very nice. The ability to tell windows developers - hey, just compile your app with minimal differences here and voila - OS X version (especially if WINE on OS X had an OS X look and feel if that's possible).

Second...I believe the game SpyHunter IS an OS X app using WINE right now. It was ported by Transgaming - the experts on using WINE for games. And the CD contains both Mac and PC versions. I very well could see them writing a wrapper project that takes the source of a windows app and boom - Mac game.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

How do I do that? And on the Qemu page it says that WINE runs on several processors including the PowerPC..... Would it only work on a PPC Linux? If so, that would suck because I don't wanna have to partition my hard drive again..... It's too small.. I've tried it before...