Family .mac plans?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
They should do this. I'm not talking about additional email accounts, but full blown accounts. We have 4 macs in my parents house at times. All of them used by everyone. I'm the only one with a .mac account and usually I use my powerbook. This morning, I had to use the iMac downstairs. Got on, registered the computer with iSync and viola! my Safari bookmarks, addressbook and iCal were all there. It was actually very cool. I wanted to tell my family about this, but then I realized that if they were to go that route, they'd be talking $400 in .mac fees for the rest of them.

So, why isn't there a family plan for .mac like there is for Jag? It would be a great seller once people realized how cool it is (and would make people use their accounts like they should be - logging out and logging in. I guess this would obviate the need for trying to figure out how to set up a netinfo server, etc... hmm. Pal? Maybe the family plan...)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    A family plan is a mess.

My family... my brother, me and my mom (pops is scared of the computer)... all have accounts but its expensive and we only did it because we had the discount at the time.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

A family plan is a mess.

My family... my brother, me and my mom (pops is scared of the computer)... all have accounts but its expensive and we only did it because we had the discount at the time.

I'm not sure what you mean. Could you explain more? I was thinking of the whole connection with iSync and .mac is amazing. It's making my .mac account more and more worth it. Like I said, everyone in my family uses everyone else's computers and they don't know what they're missing but they would (and they would be sufficiently impressed to convince more than a few of the family friends to switch) if there were a family plan.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yeah i would be interested in something like this as well, my brother and sister both want to use .mac, but the price is way too much... they should offer a 5 email account, with 250mb of shared (but separate) iDisk space... This way the people who wouldn't be using the iDisk that much wont be wasting the space...

it should cost like $200 a year or something... wouldn't be that bad if they made the deal sweet enough...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

I'm not sure what you mean. Could you explain more? I was thinking of the whole connection with iSync and .mac is amazing. It's making my .mac account more and more worth it. Like I said, everyone in my family uses everyone else's computers and they don't know what they're missing but they would (and they would be sufficiently impressed to convince more than a few of the family friends to switch) if there were a family plan.

sorry, worded it weirdly, must have been distracted or just out of it due to the heat.

I meant, My family plan is a mess.

Uhg, lol.... sorry about that.

99 dollars is steep. So I would say 99 for a single account and then each additional "family member" account should be around 20 bucks each.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Couldn't they just get one .Mac account? If they all use the same computers anyway, and I assume they don't log in with separate accounts on the Macs, why not just use one account?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Couldn't they just get one .Mac account? If they all use the same computers anyway, and I assume they don't log in with separate accounts on the Macs, why not just use one account?

different email addresses, different idisk, different iSync profiles, etc...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

different email addresses, different idisk, different iSync profiles, etc...

The different iSync stuff is exactly what I'm thinking about. It would be the most beneficial part for my family, at least.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Family plan seems like a great idea - especially if we get new features like video-conferencing that rely on .mac. Good way for Apple to earn some easy incremental revenue as well