Powerbook 12" vs Thinkpad X31

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Need some advice.

This is my current setup; Powerbook 15 1ghz, iBook 800mhz, Acer tabletpc, Sun Cobalt Cube 3 and a Linksys network drive. I would like to replace the Acer because of its OS, SPEED disadvantages. I am starting to play around with Virtual-PC, VMware and would like to get a machine powerful enough to run multiple instances of Novell and ecomstation. Option one, the Powerbook 12-inch, offers me the size I'm looking for with the OS I'm most proficient in. However it's lack in speed(L3) and memory puts this choice to a disadvantage. Option two, the IBM Thinkpad X31 with a 1,4 ghz Centrino processor, offers me the size I'm looking for with the power to spare and a 1gb memory option. However it's primary OS is windows which means other alternatives(none supported types like netBSD) will require driver hacking. Plus the lack of firewire is inexcusable. As you can see from the list of computers above I have a very portable network and would like to keep it that way. Which limits my playing ground when purchasing notebooks. If any of you have any other suggestions besides the two mentioned above please, I would appreciate the insight.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    A 12in PowerBook would be a step down performance-wise from the 15in PB. If you need firewire, and the ThinkPad doesn't have firewire, don't get the ThinkPad.

Other than that, go with the 12in PB, maybe even the SuperDrive option.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    or wait a month until they can the 12" and come out with the slightly larger one
  • Reply 3 of 4
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

or wait a month until they can the 12" and come out with the slightly larger one

Larger? Noooooooooooo....!

alcimedes: Is there something you know that you would like to share with us?

Escher
  • Reply 4 of 4
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    While Centrino is not necessary, the Pentium-M is an excellent processor.

Try a Sony laptop.

Click here