The Right to bear Arms : USA & IRAQ

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Let me start off by saying I don't like guns of any sort.

Personally, I have never felt comfortable with the idea that civilians in any country should bear arms.

But I know it's a pipe dream.

Having said that I note that the US forces in Iraq requested that all Iraqi citizens voluntarily hand over any weapons that they may have in their possesion. Some authorities suggest that there is at least one AK-47 for every family in Iraq.

The amnesty just finished, and in that time a little over 1000 weapons were handed in. Mostly they were old blunderbusses and a smattering of newer stuff. It appears that the Iraqi Citizenry are holding on to their AK-47's.

Anyway it strikes me as odd that the US would request such a handover, when its own citizens are given the constitutional right to bear arms. With millions of weapons both legal & illegal floating around in the USA; and with thousands of innocent lives being taken by such weapons every year,it seems to me that the USA is being a tad hypocritical about this position.

Is it a case of don't do as I do, but do as I say?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    It's a case of a nation under martial law with no real controlling government. Nothing more.

Go play outside, this is what you entertain yourself with? Questions like that?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    A bit of research:

Iraqis will be allowed to keep weapons such as AK-47 assault rifles at home, but they will not be allowed to carry them on the streets. They will be able to carry licensed handguns on the street, however.

click
  • Reply 3 of 10
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

A bit of research:

Iraqis will be allowed to keep weapons such as AK-47 assault rifles at home, but they will not be allowed to carry them on the streets. They will be able to carry licensed handguns on the street, however.

click

Thankyou for that.

The coverage we get from AFP & BBC didn't mention either of these points.

Makes me suspect more anti -USA bias \
  • Reply 4 of 10
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member

Quote:

Makes me suspect more anti -USA bias

say it ain't so!!!!

• Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

say it ain't so!!!!

It ain't so....It ain't so...

But sadly it IS so...\
  • Reply 6 of 10
    enaena Posts: 667member
    If I read my news correctly, the order actually includes things like anti-aircraft missles and hand grenades.

Can you hunt mallards with an SA-7?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

If I read my news correctly, the order actually includes things like anti-aircraft missles and hand grenades.

Can you hunt mallards with an SA-7?

Wow, can I have one?

Hitting some of the roaches we have around here, with anything less, just makes them grumpy.

• Reply 8 of 10
    Foreign media? Anti-US?

That's just crazy-talk.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Thankyou for that.

The coverage we get from AFP & BBC didn't mention either of these points.

Makes me suspect more anti -USA bias \

Would you please post links to those articles?

I would be very surprised if articles from BBC dealing with controlling weapons would have a negative spin. If it mentioned allowing ordinary people to have an AK-47 in their home it would be more likely to be what in the fantasy island of AO is known as "anti-american".
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Would you please post links to those articles?

I would be very surprised if articles from BBC dealing with controlling weapons would have a negative spin. If it mentioned allowing ordinary people to have an AK-47 in their home it would be more likely to be what in the fantasy island of AO is known as "anti-american".

Anders,

I would genuinely like to, but the BBC material was on ABC (Australian Braodcasting Commission ) Television news (hence my reference to weapons I'd seen being handed over. & if my memory serves me correctly the AFP material was quoted on NewsRadio..ABC in much the same vein...

Mind you Australia's ABC has been in for a bit of criticism of late, being accused of being "biased" against Australia & America in its reporting of matters concerning Iraq.

So I wonder where the "doctoring " if any is going on.?

Thanx