Powermacs & 12" Powerbook EOL in some French Stores...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Everyone has probably seen this on the 'french' site, but thought I'd post it again...

Link here...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    for some odd reason apple is killing the 12".

i hope their 13" makes it worth it. the 12" ruled.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Is fnca like a large chain of stores in France?

In the past, has fnac's "eoling" of Apple products been indicative of...anything?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

Is fnca like a large chain of stores in France?

In the past, has fnac's "eoling" of Apple products been indicative of...anything?

From looking around the internet, as well as being the abbreviation for the French Nuclear Powerstation organisation, FNAC seems to be a large chain store selling "books, audio visual equipment, computers and photography equipment"...

From the look of it they are pretty big in France, Spain and some of mainland Europe as well.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

for some odd reason apple is killing the 12".

i hope their 13" makes it worth it. the 12" ruled.

ummmmm WHAT?

where the hell did this come from?

this has got to be the shortest product lifetime EVER...

it will be a collectors item one day...
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Fnac is a large chain store in france indeed.

It seels CDs, Books, Computers and electronics.

They had special deals with a Apple in the past, like selling iBooks with bigger hard drives to Fnac loyalty card holders.

So I suppose they are in quite close terms with apple.

Queried about this they have answered they don't know they just try to guess like all of us, to clear their stock accordingly.

P.

PS: As for the 12 in, that probaly mean they are killing that model, maybe a new one at 1 ghz or bigger HD...
  • Reply 6 of 19
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

ummmmm WHAT?

where the hell did this come from?

this has got to be the shortest product lifetime EVER...

it will be a collectors item one day...

I read a post by some moderator yesterday about that, I can't find it anymore, crap, i bet they are just trying to freak us out, where do you guys get all this info anyway?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Guys, I think EOL can mean that particular VERSION is discontinued...not the entire damn product or line.

\

If that's the case (and I'm about 98.8% sure it is), that just means the CURRENT 867MHz PowerBook is no longer...it's being UPGRADED to a Rev. B model (probably with 1GHz and some other stuff).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this. But I've seen/heard "EOL" stories on other Apple hardware and all it meant was an existing model was indeed "end of lifed"...to make room for an updated version of the same thing.

That's all.

Do you REALLY think, after 6 months, Apple is going to axe the 12" PowerBook, which seems to be a nice seller?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    i didn't believe it at first either, but everything i'm hearing says yes. something about a 13" model instead. i still think it's stupid though, and hope it isn't true.

edit:

ok, nevermind me i'm a moron. i completely misread something. i went back and looked through, the person didn't say what i thought they did.

nothing to see here. i'll just go sit in a corner.

• Reply 9 of 19
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Guys, I think EOL can mean that particular VERSION is discontinued...not the entire damn product or line.

\

If that's the case (and I'm about 98.8% sure it is), that just means the CURRENT 867MHz PowerBook is no longer...it's being UPGRADED to a Rev. B model (probably with 1GHz and some other stuff).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this. But I've seen/heard "EOL" stories on other Apple hardware and all it meant was an existing model was indeed "end of lifed"...to make room for an updated version of the same thing.

That's all.

Do you REALLY think, after 6 months, Apple is going to axe the 12" PowerBook, which seems to be a nice seller?

I'd agree with you 100%, however I'm not do sure on the 12" PB...

On the website the 'EOL' tag is different to the Powermacs line. Seems more final somehow...

I would agree that it would be a bad move, I love my PB 12"... if it had DVI it would be perfect...

Peace,

Marc
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Hey, a 13" PowerBook would be COOL on several fronts:

1. Means all models are now two inches apart (13, 15 and 17) (on a related matter, this means that the iBook, in the interest of product line balance/parity, is either getting a 10" or 16" model. Hahahahahaha!

Ahem...

2. Like the 15" and 17" models, it could lose some of that iBook-esque "dead space" around the display (look at pics and notice how much "chunkier" the 12" display looks, compared to the two others. Would be cool to see the low-end model look as sleek and such a narrow bezel (is "bezel" the right word here...that space around the display?).

3. Finally, it might mean the 12", like the other two, is going to a 16:10 screen?

Assuming, of course, the upcoming 15" is a 16:10 model (we discussed this in another thread late last week). Would 13" (as opposed to 12") lend itself better to something like this? Wouldn't be as shallow perhaps?

Other than that whole "unlucky 13" business, I could buy one of these and be set!

But I realize it's a misquote (thanks, alcimedes...).

• Reply 11 of 19
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

ok, nevermind me i'm a moron. i completely misread something. i went back and looked through, the person didn't say what i thought they did.

nothing to see here. i'll just go sit in a corner.

Whew... that makes me feel a bit better, alcimedes. You were starting to scare the shizenizit out of me after you post in GD stating that Apple was killing the 12-inch PowerBook.

MacUsers: You were probably thinking about alcimedes' post in this thread in GD. Thank goodness alcimedes was confused.

Escher
  • Reply 12 of 19
    You know what? I think alcimedes kinda accidentally spilled the bean, now he's backtracking and trying to play "meek, humble dunce" and back away from any knowledge/insight (doesn't want to be WorkerBee 2003)

Come clean, mother%#@%#@. What did you know and when did you know it?

• Reply 13 of 19
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

You know what? I think alcimedes kinda accidentally spilled the bean, now he's backtracking and trying to play "meek, humble dunce" and back away from any knowledge/insight (doesn't want to be WorkerBee 2003)

Come clean, mother%#@%#@. What did you know and when did you know it?

HAHAHA.... it must be hard keeping track of all the rumors that are in the public domain and all that insider information that hasn't been revealed. It's a rough life, isn't it, alcimedes?
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

What did you know and when did you know it?

your mom, and from 10:30 PM until 3:30 AM

• Reply 15 of 19
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    ewwww...i see a cat fight coming

in this corner we have might genitals himself

and in that corner we have pscates and his mother

may the best man win

g
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Ooops...never mind (I kinda started it...haha).
  • Reply 17 of 19
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The Fnac site said :

- they did not sell anymore all the towers

- the small powerbook with the combo is not avalaible temporary, like the old 15 inch

- a 12 inch powerbook with superdrive will be avalaible later.

The better info is about the towers : two explanation possible :

- the Fnac has decided to stop to sell the professional line

- something wonderful is coming
  • Reply 18 of 19
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    FNAC is similar to Best Buy or Circuit City in the United States.

The tower line "as it existed" is no longer available on the website. However other reports are that the FNAC retail stores do still have stock on Tower models other then the dual 1.42 which is completely sold out.

Essentially this means "The King is dead (G4) long live the King (G5?). For those less poetically inclined, the G4 towers are not available anymore, possible to make way for something new.

The Powerbooks (other then the 17" of which there is still stock) are all listed as temporarily unavailable, with one model of the 12 inch indicating that a new superdrive model is coming. Probably this all includes an updated 15" finally, and revised 12 inch models, probably with speed bumps. Nothing out of the ordinary.

The 12 inch is not being discontinued, and any rumors of a 13 inch are imaginary. Revisions and speedbumps, nothing more.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Oh most certainly. If they don't discontinue it, then they can't come out with a 10 inch 970 tablet. Honestly, I agree with you- if the 12 is EOL'd, then it is because it is going to be refreshed. Hooray for Apple's updating their products with some degree of frequency!