23" display with laptop

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

My boss has recently bought a 23" cinema display to use with his new 17" Powerbook. He has asked me to look inot seeing if it is possible to use the cinema display in conjunction with his sony Viao laptop which is about 2 years old. The Viao has a max res of 1024 x 768. He thinks that apple say it isn't possible but I was wondering if anyone on here has had any experience of doing something similar with a PC laptop and an apple display. Thanks in advance.

Murty.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Any PC can use a Cinema Display but with some work though. How's your boss' technical skills?

You need a DVI-ADC or VGA-ADC adaptor. Second, you need to check what is the max (external) resolution the VAIO can support. Many laptops support 1024x768 on own display but can go higher like 1600x1200 on external. I owned a VAIO before and I didn't think they support 1920 native resolution that cinema display has.

Also, you cannot adjust the brightness etc directly on a PC. Although most games and many apps like Photoshop allows you to control the brightness, gamma, etc.

If you boss can buy a Cinema HD he should be able to buy a PB G4 as well!
  • Reply 2 of 2
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    he has a 17" yao book and the apple adapter (well that part I am assuming)

What we need to know (to be able to help him) are what kind of display options the vaio has...