A little leak..?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple is also the first PC company to adopt a type of memory-chip technology called DDR333 -- something that rarely happened in the past when Apple often fell behind the rest of its competitors in incorporating advanced technologies.

<a href="http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2002/tc20021112_5077.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2002/tc20021112_5077.htm</a>;

Comments anny one ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    That's just patently false -- many machines were available with DDR333 and its been available for some time now.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    Maybe they misspelled DDR666?
  • Reply 3 of 32
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Oh you devil.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    [quote]Originally posted by Programmer:

<strong>That's just patently false -- many machines were available with DDR333 and its been available for some time now.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Uh, P4 was on Rambus for a while, and was never on DDR333 to my knowledge. They use a 133MHz quad pumped bus, so it's claimed to be 533MHz. (i'd like to see Intel on 666MHz bus...'course they'd claim it to be 667 to avoid the "magic number")

AMD 3200+ is still none-existent, and 2800+ didn't hit the channel 'til after the Mirror door G4 to my understanding. Those are the only ones from AMD that supported 166DDR FSB...

Put together, that means Apple was indeed the first system to support DDR333.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    My ASUS motherboard supports DDR333 and its been out for awhile.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    PIVs can still use DDR SDRAM: they don't have to use RDRAM.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    [quote]Originally posted by evangellydonut:

<strong>Put together, that means Apple was indeed the first system to support DDR333.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yada-yada! you can stick DDR333 into any Via KT333 chipset for Athlon for a long time and there even is a KT400 chipset that supports DDR400. the CPU (Athlon) itself, though, can only do 266 - but that's still 100 more than any of the new G4s and 133 more than most G4 systems out there.

apple is just _so_ _not first_ when it comes to RAM/bus speeds that it ain't funny anymore. the only "innovation" one can really, truly give Apple credit for is case design.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    [quote] the only "innovation" one can really, truly give Apple credit for is case design.<hr></blockquote>

Really? What about the first consumer computer to use a mouse and GUI (yes, I know Xerox "invented" these but they were never marketed by them). How about the first to use 3 1/2 floppy discs? How about USB, Firewire, Wireless.....

I guess some people also suffer from Dellitis.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>Really? What about the first consumer computer to use a mouse and GUI (yes, I know Xerox "invented" these but they were never marketed by them). How about the first to use 3 1/2 floppy discs? How about USB, Firewire, Wireless..... </strong><hr></blockquote>

First I was talking short term, not 1980's (I am no _that_ stupid, you know). Are you sure with USB? I think I just recently did read here on AI that Apple was not the first, but only the first you offered a computer with basically only USB to extend (iMac). Oh well, surely Apple must be _the_ innovative beast around.

Besides, being the "first" to "widely adopt" new technology often does not make commercial sense (see FireWire 2 - there are not enough devices on the market yet to make it viable) - but I am fed up with stupid marketing claims as to Apple computers having a "whopping fast 5400 rpm drive" and getting "incredible 80something frames per second in Quake 3 Arena" - statements that you easily find on apple.com. You see if Joe Schmoe buy an iMac and after that notices someone that his 80 fps are not that ultra fast after all, he just might be pissed off.

Now if Apple starts selling a G4 with a 333 mhz front side bus, that would be different and I'd pull my hat. Alas.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    I believe the computer mouse was invented by a professor @ Stanford University Douglas something or other was his name???
  • Reply 11 of 32
    I think his name was Douglas Mouse.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by xype:

<strong>

First I was talking short term, not 1980's (I am no _that_ stupid, you know). Are you sure with USB? I think I just recently did read here on AI that Apple was not the first, but only the first you offered a computer with basically only USB to extend (iMac). Oh well, surely Apple must be _the_ innovative beast around.

Besides, being the "first" to "widely adopt" new technology often does not make commercial sense (see FireWire 2 - there are not enough devices on the market yet to make it viable) - but I am fed up with stupid marketing claims as to Apple computers having a "whopping fast 5400 rpm drive" and getting "incredible 80something frames per second in Quake 3 Arena" - statements that you easily find on apple.com. You see if Joe Schmoe buy an iMac and after that notices someone that his 80 fps are not that ultra fast after all, he just might be pissed off.

Now if Apple starts selling a G4 with a 333 mhz front side bus, that would be different and I'd pull my hat. Alas.</strong><hr></blockquote>

USB is derived from ASB or whatever Apple called it, so yes, Apple did invent USB.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Intel developed USB, and has been built into Intel chipsets since the 430HX from 1994 onwards,

It didn't receive Windows support until Windows 95 OSR.2 in 1997
  • Reply 14 of 32
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Wrong.

(EDIT - Stagflation Steve beat me to it...)

Apple used the ADB (Apple Desktop Bus) for i/o data only, NOT for the i/o OF data...

Intel created USB, and there it floundered, until Apple came along and introduced the iMac.

The rest is history, as the ADB faded away, and PS/2 ports are also fading away from PCs...

[ 11-15-2002: Message edited by: MacRonin ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 32
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I'm going to take a leak a now.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacRonin:

<strong>

Apple used the ADB (Apple Desktop Bus) for i/o data only, NOT for the i/o OF data...

</strong><hr></blockquote>

What do you mean? I did use ADB for such various applications as modem, printing, keyboard, networking (yes; appletalk used to be through ADB). So what is this i/o OF data? Networking is input/output OF data, no?
  • Reply 17 of 32
    If you're talking about DDR RAM at 333MHz, you can configure a Dell Intel based P4 middle-range PC with DDR 333 Memory. That is nothing new or terribly exciting. The new Rambus memory is still the better performer though (and is configurable on the high end systems).
  • Reply 18 of 32
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    RDRAM basically dies early 2003 when Intel plans to introduce dual channel DDR RAM chipsets.

I think the point of the article was more in line with Apple was the first non-whitebox producer to put it in. By that I'm talking the large PC manufacturers like Dell, HP/Compaq, IBM, etc.

I'm not entirely sure how true that is but they certainly weren't a long way behind the other PC manufacturers if they were at all.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    [quote]Originally posted by der Kopf:

<strong>

What do you mean? I did use ADB for such various applications as modem, printing, keyboard, networking (yes; appletalk used to be through ADB). So what is this i/o OF data? Networking is input/output OF data, no?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think your confusing ADB with the old Apple serial ports
  • Reply 20 of 32
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    He most definitely is.

Small round plugs. Similarity stops there.