Moving & Locking Threads

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Why, when a thread that is in the wrong forum is moved the original thread stays in the wrong forum just taking up space? It seems like all the effort of moving the thread has been wasted. Nothing has been accomplished except have two threads.

Also, when a tread is locked why does it stay to waste space. I enjoy the cool "LOCKED" graphics too, but why not just delete them so we don't have to wade through them?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

Also, when a tread is locked why does it stay to waste space. I enjoy the cool "LOCKED" graphics too, but why not just delete them so we don't have to wade through them?

So we can all point and laugh at the person that had their thread locked.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Why, when a thread that is in the wrong forum is moved the original thread stays in the wrong forum just taking up space? It seems like all the effort of moving the thread has been wasted. Nothing has been accomplished except have two threads.

If people have been participating in the thread, they'll be looking for it in the place it was originally posted. I'm sure a number of posters would be confused if the threads just disappeared for no apparent reason.

The move does not create two threads. The old link just redirects to the thread in the new location. The old link does not update on the old forum page and will fall off the listing over time whereas the actual thread in the correct forum will stay up and active as people continue posting in it.

Quote:

why not just delete them so we don't have to wade through them?

Because people bitch and whine when their posts get deleted. Also, it adds to the level of confusion, as I mentioned above, when threads simply disappear. Sometimes there is good content in these locked threads; it's just that some threads "go bad" towards the end of their lifetime. It's best to leave these threads out there but locked so users can still read and refer to the old discussions.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

people bitch and whine when their posts get deleted.

If you really consider this discussion closed, why do you post this obvious flamebait, Brad?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Brad was simply providing a source of reference so that we do not have to repeat ourselves. As for the discussion, it is not necessarily closed. As I said, any of the moderators or admins are more than happy to have the discussion with you or anybody else on these boards. But as I have pointed out very clearly before, those discussions are to be had via E-Mail or Private Messages.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

The move does not create two threads. The old link just redirects to the thread in the new location. The old link does not update on the old forum page and will fall off the listing over time whereas the actual thread in the correct forum will stay up and active as people continue posting in it.

I realize this but the thread is still there clogging up the forum.

Anyways, I see where you're comming from. Though I still disagree. That's why you're a moderator and I'm not. Thanks for responding to my question.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

I realize this but the thread is still there clogging up the forum.

Anyways, I see where you're comming from. Though I still disagree. That's why you're a moderator and I'm not. Thanks for responding to my question.

I think we can see where you're coming from. Before vB, the thread would be left in the old forum and just appear locked, so nobody would know where it moved to. As much as we would like to just invisibly move a thread, too many people will complain about not being able to find where it got moved to. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or something

I think the moral is to encourage your fellow members to post in the proper forums so we don't have to move the threads ;-)
  • Reply 7 of 8
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

But as I have pointed out very clearly before, those discussions are to be had via E-Mail or Private Messages.

Rather exactly, which kind of makes me wonder why Brad would choose these antagonizing terms in public, whilst expecting me to refrain from commentary in public.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Rather exactly, which kind of makes me wonder why Brad would choose these antagonizing terms in public, whilst expecting me to refrain from commentary in public.

Exactly. If you've got a problem with a member, please contact them via PM. Do not post about it.

*puts this thread under civilian lock*