Airport Extreme on a powerbook G3??? What PMCIA card?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
With the old airport I remember that you could just pop in a lucent Silver card into the PCMCIA slot and it worked just as if you had an airport card.

So is there an 802.11g PMCIA card that will do this? And, in particular, can you use the software base station feature with it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    timotimo Posts: 353member
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I have spoken too hastily: apparently there are some hacks out there.

Look, e.g., here: http://www.osxhax.com/archives/cat_a...eme_hacks.html
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Timo

I have spoken too hastily: apparently there are some hacks out there.

Look, e.g., here: http://www.osxhax.com/archives/cat_a...eme_hacks.html

Duuuude! Thanks for the link and glad to hear it.
  • Reply 5 of 7

Double duuude! Are these all "Broadcom based"?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

Double duuude! Are these all "Broadcom based"?

No, some of them are Atheros-based and will NOT work.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    And then there's this from Macintouch:

Quote:

[Ofir Gal] I found that with the new Airport 3.1 update the patch is no longer required. My Buffalo 802.11g cards worked straight away.

[Bruce Thomson] I have been happily using a Buffalo AirStation WLI-CB-G54 and -G54A 802.11g WLAN card in my PBG4 15" since February, thanks to the Infamous AE Hack developed and posted by Nicholas Sayer. It appears that there is no longer a need for this hack. Simply slap an 802.11g WLAN card based on the same Broadcom chipset used by the Apple Airport Extreme card, and you are in business! [...]

[Nick Perry] Having never experienced a problem with automatic updates before, I let my graphite G4 running 10.6.2 install the AirPort 3.1 update via Software Updates. On restarting my ethernet interface was no longer configured and my Terminal preferences were corrupt. The Networks System Preferences pane was hanging until I clicked the Internet pane first. When it finally came up the Network pane showed the interface was unconfigures.

_ Running ifconfig confirmed this and the routing table has no default route both could be configured manually from the command line but no via System Preferences. OS 9 is fine. AirPort 3.0 can;t be installed over 3.1 so maybe I'll try 2.5 next. [...]

[Henry Rexroad] Came into work today and saw that there was the Airport Software update. In addition, I noticed the "Version 2" of the recent Security Update, and as I had heard about problems with the first posting but never run it, I went ahead and updated both items.

BAD IDEA.

My network preferences are totally [messed up]. I can no longer go onto the Internet, I can no longer connect to about half the servers on our local network... upon examination, all options aside from PPP, AOL and manual configuration have disappeared from "Connect Using..." in my Network settings. This is across all interfaces on this machine (a dual 800 quicksilver), internal modem and ethernet. I must be able to use DHCP in order to access some servers critical for my work, and unfortunately we have so many machines here I can't just pick an IP and use it. So now I have to work in OS 9 until I can find out what is wrong. I ran repair permissions and it had no effect. Upon opening my software update log, i was also presented with console log, which showed all kinds of errors in writing or reading network config files. I have no idea what is going on here or what to do about it.

_ I don't know if the airport update did this or the security update did, but whatever it is, it has totally trashed my OS X setup. [...]

follow-up at http://www.osxhax.com/archives/cat_a...eme_hacks.html

Quote:

AirPort 3.1 no longer requires hack

Apple released AirPort update 3.1 today, and it appears that in addition to final 802.11g standards compliance that Apple has decided to allow their drivers to work with any Broadcom based 802.11g card, be it CardBus or PCI.

Evidence of this can be seen in the stock Info.plist file that comes with the AppleAirPort2.kext. If you look in the <IONameMatch> section, you'll see that it matches Apple's own AE module, and also now pci14e4,4320, which is the chip ID for the Broadcom 802.11g device.

Huzzah! And many thanks to Apple for this unexpected gift!