Quark bloody Quark - can't open file

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I created a 33 page simple document (I was formatting text from a client for transfering into the design) Just a three colum text box on a page, containt text formated using style sheets. I saved the document and quit quark so I could restart (due to a print sharing problem). Now I can open the file I get a error message of:

I/O erre trying to read or write to disk [-36]

I am using Quark 5 any suggestions would be great as I don't want ot spend this afternoon repeating what I did this morning.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Did the qxd have any pictures whose previews might get corrupted? Are you sure the file system is OK? Did you try [temporarily] removing QXP's prefs? Can you try to open it on another machine? Do you have inDesign to open the qxd?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

Did the qxd have any pictures whose previews might get corrupted? Are you sure the file system is OK? Did you try [temporarily] removing QXP's prefs? Can you try to open it on another machine? Do you have inDesign to open the qxd?

No pics in doc

No other file problems on my mac (that I know of)

Havent tried removing the pref i will do

It won't open on another mac

We only have Quark

Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 7
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jon-e-orange

No pics in doc

No other file problems on my mac (that I know of)

Havent tried removing the pref i will do

It won't open on another mac

We only have Quark

Thanks

go to markzware.com and, if the document is important enough for you, get a copy of markztools 5 -- it doesn't always repair the entire thing, but even if it can't, you can salvage the text and such for a new document.

if you can get it open (by way of markztools or something else), create a new document of same dimensions, switch to thumbnail view (f6) in both the new document and the old one, and start dragging pages from the old doc into the new one. this is an advised fix by quarkxpress. keep in mind, you will lose layers, styles and color swatches in this fix, but you can then import them from the old document via their respective dialog boxes.

hope that helps, and good luck.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I think I have found out what was causing the problem.

I made the document again (in a similar fashion) when I got to the end I found I was a few lines short. When I tried to open what was supplied to me in word it crashed word and I think that .doc file was damaged and the culprit.

Cheers

Jon-e-orange
  • Reply 5 of 7
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jon-e-orange

...it crashed word and I think that .doc file was damaged and the culprit.

M$ + Quark == painful death.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    yzedfyzedf Posts: 24member
    Quote:

Quark = pain
  • Reply 7 of 7
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

agreed, though i am now placing more of the blame on microsoft (and windows fonts) than anythign else. since we switched out entire company workflow to an indesign/incopy collaborative workflow, our worst file catastrophes can be traced back to corrupt word documents or embedded pc font profiles that went to hell.

keep this in mind... ALWAYS work with templates at the beginning of a project, NOT JUST a copy of the last issue. we have word documents that have data (and owner info) dating as far back as '96 embedded in them (and the quark files are even worse, with xtension data (supposedly dormant) that's also probably causing us myriad headaches now.

ugh.