.avi Movie Player that supports .sub files

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Anyone know of a good .avi movie player that will play a movie with a .sub file for subtitles? I've tried VLC, and MPlayer without success, and QuickTime won't even try.

Would there be a program that could merge the .subs onto the .avi?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    OK, I realize everyone is all tied up with this PPC G5 nonsense, but anyone have any ideas?

*bump*
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Cant those files only be played as a DVD? that has the option to enable subtitles? Im probably wrong though.

I use DivXray which allows you to compress DVD's with a language track and subtitles of your choice, you can give it a go from versiontracker but i doubt it will blend the .sub file into the avi. Pretty sure you can only do it from the original .vob files.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Search for Cellulo. It's a Quicktime player with playlists, and last I checked it supported .sub-files beautifully. Of course, since it uses Quicktime, it doesn't eat those throughoutly hacked .avi-files natively, and you have to run the files through an app like DivX Validator, Avi2Mov, etc. But the conversion can be integrated with Cellulo, it's actually a setting in the prefs
  • Reply 4 of 4
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Thank you both for your ideas. I just downloaded VLC .6, and it is able to do .sub files. It's not very seamless... you need to change a preference every time you change them, but it works just as it should.