Archive and Install question

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
From the KB article (ID 107120):

Mac OS X 10.2 introduces a new way to install, known as "Archive and Install." It moves existing system files to a folder named Previous System and then installs Mac OS X again. (See Note 4.) You cannot start up your computer using the Previous System folder. (See Note 1.)

You may also elect to preserve your user and network settings during the installation. This option automatically imports existing users, Home directories, and network settings. This means it also skips the Setup Assistant after installation.

You can only use Archive and Install when upgrading over a previous version of Mac OS X. If Mac OS X is not already present, you cannot select Archive and Install.

Question 1: I'm using 10.2.6 and wish to revert to 10.2.0, can I do this with "archive and install"? That last paragraph seems to suggest that this option only works going forward, not backward like I want.

Question 2: What are "existing system files"? Does this refer to my iPhoto library, Address Book, iTunes music, etc.?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    1) No.

2) /System
  • Reply 2 of 3
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    "Archive and Install" will store your previous system inside a new folder on your hard drive, if you so choose. This includes base OS stuff like the kernel, BSD subsystem, Library and System folders, and so on.

Applications will not survive the process, although you can save the data in your Home directory by telling the installer that you'd like to hold onto it. You might try moving your apps into an Applications folder there if you want them to live.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Daver

"Archive and Install" will store your previous system inside a new folder on your hard drive, if you so choose. This includes base OS stuff like the kernel, BSD subsystem, Library and System folders, and so on.

Applications will not survive the process, although you can save the data in your Home directory by telling the installer that you'd like to hold onto it. You might try moving your apps into an Applications folder there if you want them to live.

I've run a couple archive and installs, and the option is to "Preserve Applications and Users," IIRC. My Adobe and other third-party apps all survived intact when I migrated from 10.1 to 10.2, and then again when I blew up my system playing around with themes 2 days later.

I don't know if Apple's iApps survive, though. Perhaps they get overwritten, but third-party apps will still be there.

CV