I'm making plastics right now

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Heh, just thought I'd bust out that line. This thread is basically just an announcement that I'm involved in a project that a lot of you may appreciate, and under loose NDA's. Right now I'm in the process of designing a remote-type device for the company I'm a part of (start up). It's part of a cashless payment system that may well end up running an embedded version of Darwin. Crazy stuff.

Keep your eyes peeled in bars, nightclubs, resorts, stadiums, etc in the next few months. We have a lot of contracts already. Not exactly a computer product, or even an Apple product, but nonetheless it's a tech product that is making us one step closer to the sci-fi-ish goal of a fully cashless market.

I'll post some pics of the remote if there's interest.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    bdeasybdeasy Posts: 5member
    BioPay...?

Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Heh, just thought I'd bust out that line. This thread is basically just an announcement that I'm involved in a project that a lot of you may appreciate, and under loose NDA's. Right now I'm in the process of designing a remote-type device for the company I'm a part of (start up). It's part of a cashless payment system that may well end up running an embedded version of Darwin. Crazy stuff.

Keep your eyes peeled in bars, nightclubs, resorts, stadiums, etc in the next few months. We have a lot of contracts already. Not exactly a computer product, or even an Apple product, but nonetheless it's a tech product that is making us one step closer to the sci-fi-ish goal of a fully cashless market.

I'll post some pics of the remote if there's interest.

• Reply 2 of 12
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I like cash, I dont like the concept of companies knowing when and where of what I do.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    yomofoyomofo Posts: 35member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

I like cash, I dont like the concept of companies knowing when and where of what I do.

but everyone always knows when, where, and what you do. just 'cause you can't see the video cameras doesn't mean they aren't there... just wait 5 more years.

• Reply 4 of 12
    I don't have a problem with the concept, I use my debit card for 99% of purchases.

Ive worked in a bank (teller position) and the information they have isn't all that spectacular, who cares where you shopped and what time you shopped there, unless you are breaking the law I don't see a probelm with that.

I do see a problem with you knowing WHAT I brought and selling that information, I dont want an eCoupon for campbells soup on my cell phone the next time i am in the store... but I can see that happening as well... blah.

That said, I would love to hear what information you have and a pic would be cool, what is the advantage of this over say a satellite based credit card machine? (I have seen these at flea markets and such recently)

Thanks for any information you can share.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by stalkerdeapplenut

Ive worked in a bank (teller position) and the information they have isn't all that spectacular, who cares where you shopped and what time you shopped there, unless you are breaking the law I don't see a probelm with that.

Tell that to the three women in my area who were held for a week because they visited an ATM with a broken video timestamp around the time a murderer used his victim's ATM card.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stalkerdeapplenut

sigh. THINK about what you are saying. sure, picking my nose isn't breaking the law, but that doesn't mean i want someone videotaping it.

there are reasons you have a right to your own privacy, and you should never be just willing to fork those rights over because you're a good person and never break the law. conclusions can be drawn about you and your character when viewed out of context, etc.

i just do not understand why people don't understand this fundamental right...
  • Reply 7 of 12
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    I hope this barcode on the back of my neck will finally come in handy
  • Reply 8 of 12
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Well now you went a did it. Post some pictures so we know what to look for.

Better make it safe from me getting root, or I'm gonna have lots of cash at clubs...
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Aren't Nokia running a cash-free trial scheme somewhere?

/debates whether to Google...can't be arsed

Customers use their mobile phones to pay, i guess you can type in a PIN to transfer the dough.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    And what has this to do with Apple?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

And what has this to do with Apple?

Not a whole lot, except for Darwin.

Anyway, it's not so radical as anything "BioPay" might annote, just a clever use of RFID and a slew of creatively implemented wireless networks.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Will it work with my dealer down at the corner of 5th and Main?