Naked Terminal?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I want to have the terminal on my desktop. Make it look like if it was the background.

Do any of you know how to do this?

I can get rid of the scroll bar, but is it possible to get rid of the top bar too?

Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I want it to look something like this:

http://www.duke.edu/~aec19/likethis.jpg
  • Reply 2 of 11
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 3 of 11
    unless thats your photoshoped screen shot, you might try sending an email over to [email protected] with the screenie attached.

-not to insult you, its just a thought ( I honestly have no idea if you just moded that from your screen shot)
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dark Seraph

unless thats your photoshoped screen shot, you might try sending an email over to [email protected] with the screenie attached.

-not to insult you, its just a thought ( I honestly have no idea if you just moded that from your screen shot)

That's me. I just used photoshop to make it look the way i wanted.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    There's software for X11 that does that, but none for Max OS X that I know of.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Um....how about X11 for OS X?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    I've heard of modding OS X so that the screensaver plays as a desktop picture somewhere on resexcellence.com could the same be done with terminal?

Obviously if you do set your screensaver as a desktop picture everything slows to a crawl.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by dnisbet

I've heard of modding OS X so that the screensaver plays as a desktop picture somewhere on resexcellence.com could the same be done with terminal?

No because that's not really a "mod" or "hack" -- the functionality is built into the OS and people just found the switch to toggle it on (like Dock pinning, for example).
  • Reply 9 of 11
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

No because that's not really a "mod" or "hack" -- the functionality is built into the OS and people just found the switch to toggle it on (like Dock pinning, for example).

Oh ok, that's good to know
  • Reply 10 of 11
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    I've never used transparent terms for X11 on OSX, but my guess is that the transparency won't work correctly for the X11 app, as OSX's desktop picture image isn't X11's.

Anyone care to comment? Any aterm users or gnome-terminal users out there?

How about commands like 'startx -- :2 vt9' ? Can you start X on a different Virtual Terminal?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I think your best option is to wait for a future version of Konfabulator that would allow someone to create a windowless terminal. I asked about this in the Software forum earlier in the week.