Pci-x?

rbrrbr
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
PCI Express does not look like it will be available in the PC world until the second half of '04 although it seems to have the inside track over PCI-X (which Intel supposedly likes). PCI-X is supposed to be backward compatible with PCI, if Apple implement the publicly disclosed spec. But is this merely an interim design to carry through until PCI Express is available? If so it would likely wind up being a legacy item before being introduced, although I do not recall seeing any throughput specifications for PCI cards running in a PCI-X slot.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RBR

PCI Express does not look like it will be available in the PC world until the second half of '04 although it seems to have the inside track over PCI-X (which Intel supposedly likes). PCI-X is supposed to be backward compatible with PCI, if Apple implement the publicly disclosed spec. But is this merely an interim design to carry through until PCI Express is available? If so it would likely wind up being a legacy item before being introduced, although I do not recall seeing any throughput specifications for PCI cards running in a PCI-X slot.

Thoughts?

The old standard for PCI-X was 1.0a but there's a new standard, version 2.0, with compliance testing starting in August. 2 versions, PCI-X 266 and PCI-X 533. Numbers refer to megatransfers per second (MTS) with bandwidth up to 4.3GB/s.
    http://www.pcisig.com/specifications/pcix_20/" target="_blank">http://www.pcisig.com/specifications...s/pcix_20/</a>;
  • Reply 2 of 3
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    PCI-X is good. It's backwards-compatible and fast. Unlike PCI Express, it's here today; all the servers are using it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Basically PCI-Express was a solution Intel developed but was going to be available until well off into the future. Certain markets needed greater bandwidth immediately though so somebody decided to extend PCI's capabilities and developed PCI-X. Whether or not PCI-Express will completely replace PCI-X or not I have no idea but basically PCI-X was a more immediate solution for the PCI bandwidth limitations.