Modem Mayhem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I thought I'd post this here and see if anybody else has heard of anything like it before.

For the past 8 months or so the internal modem in my iMac DV+ has been steadily decreasing in relibility. At first it will dial and eventually drops the connection stating no response to 4-echo's. In the end the modem was staying connected for an average of 2 minutes, when the modem was recognised at all. Most of the time the modem would disconnect with a script failure and then be unusable for the next 5-10 minutes.

I took the computer to a dealer who looked at the problem. They tested the computer for about a week and in the end concluded the modem wasn't at fault as they tried a new internal modem and this was fine. The ISP wasn't at fault either as they tested this. They believed it was a logic board error.

Obviously I wasn't about to replace the logic board so I bought a neat little external modem ( swann macsurfer USB, pluggef it into OS X and worked straight off, I love it when that happens).

Things are fine now, I just have to dial-up with the external modem