Static ip address or not?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
my site currently has a static ip address but i'm changing servers soon to a company that doesn't have them unless ip ay extra which i don't want to do

so are static ip addresses nessecary? worth it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    If you're hosting a web site with a decent amount of traffic, a static IP is a must. Otherwise you have to deal with the hassle of regularly updating the DNS and waiting for the new address to propagate through the Internet.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

If you're hosting a web site with a decent amount of traffic, a static IP is a must. Otherwise you have to deal with the hassle of regularly updating the DNS and waiting for the new address to propagate through the Internet.

i'm confused, what's the differene between a static ip address and a dynamic ip address? and also a dedicated ip address?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    a static IP address never changes, your webserver always has the same address. With a dynamic IP address, it will change. Maybe everytime you reboot - maybe every few hours.

when you type in a internet name (www.apple.com) for example, it resolves to a single IP address, and your computer requests a service from that address. This list of names to numbers is called DNS.

If you change to dynamic IP addresses, you will have to keep changing your DNS information (if you are gonna use a name). It normally takes 8 - 48 hours for all the DNS servers on the net to register this change and start resolving to your new IP address. You could find that your dynamic IP is changing faster than you can update your DNS entries.

If you are doing any kind of hosting, I would stick with static IP addresses.

HTH, Garg
  • Reply 4 of 6
    so a static ip address is the same as a dedicated ip address?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

so a static ip address is the same as a dedicated ip address?

yes i've discovered
  • Reply 6 of 6
    well i bit the bullet and changed servers. they really discourged me from getting a dedicated ip address. i let them talk me out of it. then i changed my mind. thye claimed you only really need a dedicated ip address if you do ecommerce and have a security certificate etc etc.

i went with edatarack.com they are really cheap, though you have pay extra for a dedicated ip address but even with that they are MUCH cheaper than my old company hostway.com