1.42ghz G4 Chip Mysteriously Gone?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
According to Apple Store no more 1.42ghz G4 chips in any PowerMac Desktop...

Anyone have any clue what happened? I really can't believe that Apple just totally cleared all 1.42 ghz chips in their stock.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shanksta

Anyone have any clue what happened? I really can't believe that Apple just totally cleared all 1.42 ghz chips in their stock.

the are selling as 1.25 Ghz
  • Reply 2 of 15
    shankstashanksta Posts: 96member
    so they stopped overclocking the 1.25...hehe may be a lot less noisy and cooler inside that case now.

• Reply 3 of 15
    Hopefully they are stocking them up for iMacs and Powerbooks.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shanksta

Perhaps Apple decided to stop pushing their luck, since the poor ol' G4 was probably on the hairy edge of bursting into flames or exploding when driven at 1.42 GHz.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    abc123abc123 Posts: 6member
    Yeah, absolutely right. You know, 1.42, 3.06, they all sound like "overclocked" numbers!
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by joesph mother

Hopefully they are stocking them up for iMacs and Powerbooks.

The iMac & PowerBook will never see the 1.42 G4. If Apple is going to be at 3.0 GHz in 12 months the iMac will have 1 more G4 update & the PowerBook will also see a G4 update. But by November/December you might see G5 versions of Powerbook. The iMac most likely January to March 2004. I think Apple wants to dump Motorola ASAP....
  • Reply 7 of 15
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BostonMJH

The iMac & PowerBook will never see the 1.42 G4. If Apple is going to be at 3.0 GHz in 12 months the iMac will have 1 more G4 update & the PowerBook will also see a G4 update. But by November/December you might see G5 versions of Powerbook. The iMac most likely January to March 2004. I think Apple wants to dump Motorola ASAP....

I agree.. I think Apple is eager to end it's relationship with MOT.

However, if everything moves to G5 chips, what would happen to the iBook? I doubt that it'd be moved to a chip Apple is trying to move away from. Would they sell G3's with G5's? I also find it highly unlikely we'd see G5 iBooks anytime soon.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    arent the g4s towers they are selling on apple the ones that can boot into 9. Didn't they only have 1.25 for those models.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    the 1.42s are gone cuz they're gonna use all those chips in the next iMac rev. duh.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    No 1.42GHz G4s further proves that those old G4 towers are using overclocked chips
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by BostonMJH

But by November/December you might see G5 versions of Powerbook.

Not if the G5 runs 97 Watts:

http://www.eetimes.com/sys/news/OEG20030623S0092

I agree with you on the other counts. The iMac and PB will never go above 1.25GHz with the G4. I believe Apple will stop using the 1.42 Moto chips altogether because they are too expensive.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    The reason you only see the 1.25 is that these systems are for Mac OS 9 die-hards - the 1.42 won't run it. Interestingly, the current UK education prices are:

Single 1.25 £781

Dual 1.25 £969

neither have Superdrives

the 1.6 G5 is £1210

so you pay quite a premium to boot into 9, in terms of the bang/buck ratio.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by flyhigher

Not if the G5 runs 97 Watts:

http://www.eetimes.com/sys/news/OEG20030623S0092

I agree with you on the other counts. The iMac and PB will never go above 1.25GHz with the G4. I believe Apple will stop using the 1.42 Moto chips altogether because they are too expensive.

You are right the 1,42 ghz G4 must be overpriced, perhaps Mot sell it the same price or more than the PPC 970 at 1,6 ghz.

Some member here linked a mot web page where the 1,4 ghz G4 was referenced. It means that dispite the common rumor it was not overclocked. If it appears just now ,it's because Apple use to buy all the most clocked version of the G4. Now Apple did not buy them anymore, that's why they are referenced.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

No 1.42GHz G4s further proves that those old G4 towers are using overclocked chips

They were overclocked...from 1.4 to 1.4167 GHz.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    redericrederic Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jellytussle

The reason you only see the 1.25 is that these systems are for Mac OS 9 die-hards - the 1.42 won't run it. Interestingly, the current UK education prices are:

Single 1.25 £781

Dual 1.25 £969

neither have Superdrives

the 1.6 G5 is £1210

so you pay quite a premium to boot into 9, in terms of the bang/buck ratio.

Jelly which Education Store do you use?

I get offered the G5 1.6 for 1420 and the single 1.25 for £917 dual being £1137.