Font Book hello, bye bye suitcase?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
With this new font book feature will I be able to say good bye to Font management apps like suitcase?

what do we know about this?

flick.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Moving to OSX.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flick Justice

With this new font book feature will I be able to say good bye to Font management apps like suitcase?

what do we know about this?

flick.

One thing to remember, Suitcase has a server component too.

Aslo, way back when, Apple had a font management too: Font/DA Mover

Someone saw the need for something better. I kind of doubt that Apple will kill off the font management tools with this.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    I played with Font Book for a long time, since Suitcase stinks on X....

It seems really good,you can add fonts, activate, group, etc. and they seemed to stay "activated" when you quit the program (a big plus) and you can setup a login/sync your fonts folder with Mac OS X server to get the basic Suitcase Server functionality

With this it is 1 more piece of the puzzled to move graphics depts. to OS X
  • Reply 4 of 20
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    I was wondering the same thing as I use Suitcase as well. I'll have to use font book and decide for myself.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stalkerdeapplenut

I played with Font Book for a long time, since Suitcase stinks on X....

It seems really good,you can add fonts, activate, group, etc. and they seemed to stay "activated" when you quit the program (a big plus) and you can setup a login/sync your fonts folder with Mac OS X server to get the basic Suitcase Server functionality

Sounds cool. Never thought Apple would do it, but I'm pleased as punch that they did.

And it activated fonts in applications like InDesign and Photoshop, no need to restart the app?

I can't see Font Book posing a serious challenge to robust font management software like Font Reserve, but Extensis better improve Suitcase in a hurry.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I currently use Suitcase (because those guys at Adobe never made an OS X version of the near-perfect ATM Deluxe, which I've used FOREVER). Anyway, me no like Suitcase.

And, I think I started a thread here at AI, perhaps 4 or so months ago (maybe longer?), where I pretty much ask this question and even make a case and a plea for Apple to approach the situation in their own unique, idiot-proof and "why hasn't anyone else thought of this" way.

That was my third or fourth favorite part of today's keynote! Bring it on.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I remember that thread. I thought they would just add the functionality (I do not have anywhere near expert knowledge of this stuff) to a souped-up font panel. It's an interesting avenue to have Font Book, plus the Font Panel. I wonder if it's because Apple doesn't expect the Adobe, MS and Macromedia apps to ever adopt the font panel? Makes me wonder if they'll create come app for managing color and texture sets like Pantone, or spot colors for any app.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    zouniczounic Posts: 53member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I currently use Suitcase (because those guys at Adobe never made an OS X version of the near-perfect ATM Deluxe, which I've used FOREVER). Anyway, me no like Suitcase.

And, I think I started a thread here at AI, perhaps 4 or so months ago (maybe longer?), where I pretty much ask this question and even make a case and a plea for Apple to approach the situation in their own unique, idiot-proof and "why hasn't anyone else thought of this" way.

That was my third or fourth favorite part of today's keynote! Bring it on.

Thanks !

OS X is out since two years and no app' currently rivals the simplicity and efficency of ATM Deluxe.

Font management is crucial for graphic designers and the whole graphic industry; as important as XPress is (even if InDesign is better) : someone had to to do it.

Thanks Apple ;-)

Suitcase (X) works but is ugly, Font reserve sucks, and FontAgent is just a ****... crap (10 mn to save its database: thanks: not jocking ! )

I just hope that it's not an exclusivity for Cocoa apps like the font panel is... Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and... Xpress won't be Cocoa-ified for a couple of years so I hope it's system wide...

just hope ;-)
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by zounic

I just hope that it's not an exclusivity for Cocoa apps like the font panel is... Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and... Xpress won't be Cocoa-ified for a couple of years so I hope it's system wide...

just hope ;-)

I think that's the whole reason they made it a separate app. You can manage your fonts outside of the apps, no matter what they use for picking fonts within the apps.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

One thing to remember, Suitcase has a server component too.

/Network/Library/Fonts/

/Library/Fonts/

~/Library/Fonts/

I don't know, I think we're covered.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Yep, it's in the screenshot too:

Under the "All Fonts" in the lefthand collections column there's "Network." Even has Classic fonts covered! [added] Heh, I just noticed the slider on the right side of that pic.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Yeah I started a thread eons ago asking the same question, and suggesting that apple make an app for font management. Oddly enough I was told real designers don't need tons of fonts, and apple should never get in to the font management racket. I'm glad they did, I'm glad you agree, I'm glad that it stopped raining out.

Do we get to Download or pick up a free trial version of Panther? I thought I heard something about it expiring Dec31.. how and where?

flick.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    bhd2bhd2 Posts: 5member
    I'm less interested in the Font Book than in font support in general in Cocoa. Will Panther finally bring us real support for OpenType and the old GX fonts (kerning, auto-ligatures, small caps, etc.), or not? The web info suggests a big maybe, but there's really not enough info to go on...
  • Reply 14 of 20
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    I really hope Apple's font management utility is good!

I would really like to ditch fontagent.

Along the same line, I'd like to dump PageSender for sending faxes.

Not that pagesender is a bad program, it's definitely a great fax prog.!!!
  • Reply 15 of 20
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    I bad apple still has that horrible font panel and no real font menu. What a waste.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

I bad apple still has that horrible font panel and no real font menu. What a waste.

what?

flick.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    zouniczounic Posts: 53member
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

I really hope Apple's font management utility is good!

I would really like to ditch fontagent.

Along the same line, I'd like to dump PageSender for sending faxes.

Not that pagesender is a bad program, it's definitely a great fax prog.!!!

If Font Book really is what we all hope it is (ATM Deluxe 'Extreme', and this is not a big deal ;-) ) then that day I will ditch fontagent too and 'secure erase' it 36 passes of random datas on my HD !

Frankly that software (FontAgent) is Ok until you quit it ! It's been a long time I've had the patience to wait for it to 'save its database'; thus force quitting it with hate ;-) I hate this software, even if it was a nice try... (I don't use Suitcase: I can't stand its ugly interface, ugly Icons, slowlyness and... give me back ATMMMMMMMM !!!!)

For once Apple will not be accused of unfair concurence since this is 3 years !!! that OSX is out and there is no serious player on that crucial yet strategic (at least for one of the core Mac target: Graphic Artists) domain: Font Management.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    naderbynaderby Posts: 131member
    Just so I can sleep well tonight knowing all my font worries will be gone when Panther arrives, will somebody please confirm that:

1. an application, lets say for eg. InDesign, will auto-activate previosuly de-activated fonts when a document requests them?

2. do they stay activated when said document is closed?

And can someone stuff loads and loads of fonts into the Font Book and test its speed.

Could we see any prefs from the app? Brad?

I know, I'm being a pain. I just pray we have something similar to ATM Deluxe here. It's the one thing that currently holds me back from going to full time OSX in my day job.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by naderby

Could we see any prefs from the app? Brad?

No prefs.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    naderbynaderby Posts: 131member
    Anyone?