Will Font Management Software Die?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Isn't FontBook the name of FontFont publication, (digital typeface compendium by Erik S.)? Anyhow, with panther's new FontBook or font manager (no wonder Adobe didn't bother updating ATM, they must have been given the heads up), does this mean that font management software is unecessary to purchase. I mean the only advantage is if one wanted to use Server-based fonts or have a more robust font manager which error checked fonts (reserve/fontaagent)...

Has anyone else been wondering about this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I have not yet looked into what Panther's system will offer, but to be honest, I find the server applications terribly helpful.

I don't think font management software is going to go away, I just think that less people will be inclined to purchase it once Panther drops. Still, Panther's font management will, by my assumption, by no means be a professional solution, ergo, professional management products will continue to exist.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Actually, Jag and Panther (and consequently FontBook) can use server-based fonts, so that just leaves font checking. I doubt it does this.