G5 purchase does NOT include Panther. Official!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just got off the phone with 4 different people at apple.

2 things are certain & confirmed as of right now.

1. Panther is NOT included with any G5 purchases, now.

They say Steve has not decided

A. wether or not to include it for G5 purchasers when released.

B. Give a discount to G5 purchasers

C. Charge G5 purchasers the full amount for Panther.

2. Purchasers of any G5 today will see shipment in Aug!

Not including Panther for G5 customers makes apple look like cheap money grubbers imo.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Well, I think there could be a completely plausible explanation for this. Follow my logic here...

The G5 towers will ship in August. That's a fact. Panther will ship "by the end of the year", which is also a fact.

So if Panther is not ready to ship when the G5 does, I would not at all be surprised if Apple did not include it with the G5. I mean, they technically can't because it isn't ready. But they will give you Jaguar. I mean, you have to have an OS. I don't see why this is strange behaviour.

If both are ready in August, I would suspect Apple would include Panther with the G5. I think the real issue is going to be if a G5 ships in August, and Panther drops in September... will G5 purchasers get a discount or a free copy?

I really don't find it that ridiculous though, seems quite logical to me...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
  • Reply 3 of 4
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

If both are ready in August, I would suspect Apple would include Panther with the G5. I think the real issue is going to be if a G5 ships in August, and Panther drops in September... will G5 purchasers get a discount or a free copy?

When i got my imac it came with 10.1 then a couple months later 10.2 came out and u could upgrade for 29 bucks or something, or maybe it was free i dunno i was a week early for the deal.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    They might give you a coupon that you can turn in for an upgrade CD with your purchase. We'll have to see.

Anyone know if Panther is 64-bit, BTW. Apple has diclosed very few details.