Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does anyone have any requests for Panther?

I cannot take screen shots but I will try to answer any questions that you have.

By the way, here is my test machine:

PowerMac G4 - 350MHz

384MBs Memory

10GB Hard Drive

AGP ATI Rage 128 Pro

DVD ROM

16" Apple Studio Display (15" viewable)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 552
    connyconny Posts: 18member
    Is it possible to switch between Aqua and Brushed Metal? Or do we have to live with that ugly finder? Can you put other stuff in the finder toolbar like you could before? Or is the tool button a replacement for all that? Can you check if Finder is Cocoa or Carbon.

Do you notice and obvious speed improvements?

Any new utilities or apps?

Any new functions in the dock or is it the same as Jaguar?

Expose looks really nice! Is it? And is it fast?

Any new system preferences?

How does labels works, can you configure them?

Have you tried user switching and if so, is it fast?

These are just some of my questions to start with...
  • Reply 2 of 552
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    Write about it! Tell us how you feel, what are you impressions? How's speed? How's the new finder feel? Read off the menu options? Anything elegant that was hidden before?

What about the dock?

Please let us know.

on AIM brainchild2b if you send me screenshots I'll host them, if you can't or don't want to I understand (i figured you didn't because you have nowhere to host)

But please feel us in on what panther thus far "feels like" does it work well on your old machine?

How about expose and fancy login? You don't have quartz extreme, how do those features work?
  • Reply 3 of 552
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Here's mine.

- What's in System Preferences > Appearance?

- How does Exposé handle minimized windows?

- Can windows be navigated by keyboard after Exposé is activated, or just by mouse?

Thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 552
    Originally posted by conny

Is it possible to switch between Aqua and Brushed Metal? Nope.

Or do we have to live with that ugly finder? It really is not to bad.

Can you put other stuff in the finder toolbar like you could before? Or is the tool button a replacement for all that? Yes you can.

Can you check if Finder is Cocoa or Carbon. Tell me how to verify and I will.

Do you notice and obvious speed improvements? Yes

Any new utilities or apps? Applications I see Font Book, iChat AV (just named iChat), and that is it.

Any new functions in the dock or is it the same as Jaguar? Nope, same as before but there is a new Finder icon.

Expose looks really nice! Is it? And is it fast? Yes, and I do not have a Quartz Extreme enabled machine!

Any new system preferences? Yes, Desktop & Screen Saver, Expose, Security, Keyboard & Mouse, Print & Fax and Accounts.

How does labels works, can you configure them? Nope. Just like Steve showed, you can do it from the contextual menu in the folders or in the File menue in the Finder.

Have you tried user switching and if so, is it fast?

These are just some of my questions to start with...It is fast, but not the cool Keynote transition since I do not have Quartz Extreme on this machine.
  • Reply 5 of 552
    Sweet thanks for the info.

My guess is in the next 6 months they will upgrade the dock and add in a bunch of there cool small features. It appears they were kept busy with the finder rewrite.

So how much 'faster' does everything feel. Does it feel better threaded. Is it "wow" faster or just "slightly-I-cleaned-out-my-caches" faster?

Good to hear about expose, I have been wanting something like this for years. It will make my 3,000 document day 500% faster!
  • Reply 6 of 552
    Also tell us about print dialogs? are they much better? they used to SUCK. too many windows...

how about dragging a folder into the dock? any faster? Maybe they included the old dock and haven't updated that yet.

How is the new "low key" aqua stripes?

What really stands out to you? How's the new clock? The new calculator? Any changes in quicktime?
  • Reply 7 of 552
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apple Panther

Can you check if Finder is Cocoa or Carbon. Tell me how to verify and I will.

While in the Finder, press the help key on your keyboard (left of the 'home' key and above the forward delete key). If your mouse cursor turns into a question mark, then it's a Cocoa app.

If the Help Center loads instead, then it's a Carbon app.
  • Reply 8 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by frawgz

While in the Finder, press the help key on your keyboard (left of the 'home' key and above the forward delete key). If your mouse cursor turns into a question mark, then it's a Cocoa app.

Whoa! that's nifty.

My question: Appearance. I'm getting quite sick of just aqua blue and graphite, are there any more options in Panther?
  • Reply 9 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by frawgz

Well it highlights the Macintosh HD icon, though no question mark cursor.

Over all speed seems a lot faster. Putting stuff into the dock is fast, not sure about faster though.

It feels like Mac OS X has really matured in many ways and I really do think this will be the clad iron UNIX OS for the rest of us.

I am no guru on UNIX but it just feels...solid and beautiful. No more pin stripes on anything, not even an option. Beautiful new UI changes in the various Preference panes. Font Book looks just incredible. Good-bye ATM Adobe!

In Address Book you can create a template with what shows up when you do a new contact. You can also check a box that will automatically format phone numbers. You can add LDAP servers with one click.

In Image Capture you can now share scanners and cameras over web-sharing. Nothing on additional scanner drivers though.

Print dialogs now have Preview Save As PDF... Fax Cancel and print. You also get more options, Copies and Pages, Layout, Scheduler (you can tell it to print the document at a specific time!), ColorSync, and Summary.

Now under the edit menu in applications you have, Find, Spelling and Speech.

Contextual menus in the finder now include, New Folder, Get Info, Change Desktop Background..., Enable Finder Actions and Configure Folder Actions. When control clicking on an item in the finder you get, Open, Get Info, Color Label, Move to Trash, Duplicate, Make Alias, Copy, Enable Folder Actions, and Configure Folder Actions...
  • Reply 10 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

My question: Appearance. I'm getting quite sick of just aqua blue and graphite, are there any more options in Panther?

No.
  • Reply 11 of 552
    Aw?
  • Reply 12 of 552
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Dog:

We will get a haxie or Apple will add it in soon. Many early versions had lots of rumored features that aren't in this build. My guess is they took alot out and just went to show off the stable code base.

Last time Apple developed for 6 additional months on an OS there were TONS of features added. It looks like they focused on making the core faster, which after all is the killer feature.
  • Reply 13 of 552
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Well it highlights the Macintosh HD icon, though no question mark cursor.

Can you do a second check?

Drag a Finder window underneath the Dock, if the window goes underneath the Dock, it's Cocoa. If the window titlebar refuses to go underneath the Dock, it's Carbon.

10.3 may have corrected this inconsistency though...a test on other 'known' carbon apps would have to be done.
  • Reply 14 of 552
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Drag a Finder window underneath the Dock, if the window goes underneath the Dock, it's Cocoa. If the window titlebar refuses to go underneath the Dock, it's Carbon.

10.3 may have corrected this inconsistency though...a test on other 'known' carbon apps would have to be done.

To be clearer: the titlebar of a window.
  • Reply 15 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

Dog:

We will get a haxie or Apple will add it in soon. Many early versions had lots of rumored features that aren't in this build. My guess is they took alot out and just went to show off the stable code base.

Last time Apple developed for 6 additional months on an OS there were TONS of features added. It looks like they focused on making the core faster, which after all is the killer feature.

Yeah, I know, it's not really finished yet. Maybe I won't have to resort to overwhelming their inbox with suggestions, yet.
  • Reply 16 of 552
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    You have that backwards. if it stays under the dock it's carbon.

Cocoa windows will "pop back up" right? because finder windows in 10.2 stay under the dock, and they are carbon.
  • Reply 17 of 552
    Quote:

It refuses to go under the dock. Carbon.
  • Reply 18 of 552
    Quote:

It refuses to go under the dock. Carbon.

Well...that answers that.
  • Reply 19 of 552
    No signs of a new filesystem? Panther so far is amazing but, I hope Steve has kept a crapload of stuff secret and out of the dev build so that MS can't start copying them early.
  • Reply 20 of 552
    Quote:

No signs of a new filesystem? Panther so far is amazing but, I hope Steve has kept a crapload of stuff secret and out of the dev build so that MS can't start copying them early.

Again, I am no UNIX guru. If there is something you would like me to do in the command let me know and I will try it out.