Will the general public still only go by mHz?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The myth is still alive. I'm afraid until the magical megahertz number is greater than that of a Pentiums', the majority of people will still think the Mac is slower.

I don't know how best to explain that the overall system makes a huge difference. Is it focussing on the 64bit vs 32? Hypertransport?

Suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I know some A+ Certified people who will still think a 2 Ghz PC whatever is faster than a 2 Ghz G5.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    The answer is YES. And it will last for many years....sad but true
  • Reply 3 of 5
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Actually, I read an article in the newspaper said the G5 was twice as fast because it was 64 bit and not 32 bit .... I think the "Bits Myth" is going to do some dammage to Intel sales, but no as badly if it actually clocked higher.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    I really, really hope that the "bits" myth doesn't take hold.. it would probably be damaging to Apple in particular (whenever some geek publicly "debunks" it) and to the knowledge of the general population.

The MHz myth may still persist, but we are seeing an increase in the number of lower clocked but high performing chips.

Quote:

I know some A+ Certified people who will still think a 2 Ghz PC whatever is faster than a 2 Ghz G5.

Perhaps that is an indicator of how much general knowledge an A+ certification involves... I don't really know, having never looked at what is required for it. I find it surprising that computer technicians would believe that speed is measured in MHz alone - surely they know of AMD?

I think that in order for Apple to gain market share, they must have visible presence at retail outlets, combined with *competent* sales staff. Not necessarily Apple devotees, but people who are knowledgeable about the systems themselves. This is what can cause the MHz myth to become history.

That, or maybe real-world results that so blow away the geek community that news of Intel's imminent bankruptcy spreads instantly...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfryer

Perhaps that is an indicator of how much general knowledge an A+ certification involves... I don't really know, having never looked at what is required for it. I find it surprising that computer technicians would believe that speed is measured in MHz alone - surely they know of AMD?

the A+ cerification basically amounts to being able to spit back marketing BS.

most techs nowdays are really really dumb people.

example: convo with IT guy at last job.

IT: hey, what programming language do macs use?

ME: lots. Obj. C, C++, etc.

IT: they use C++? same as windows?

ME: yeah, if you want.

IT: then how come there are less viruses on the mac if they use the same programming language?

ME: *shakes head*

suffice to say, i NEVER let this guy touch my Mac.