eMac fan not working?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I am using an eMac that I have been having a few problems with. The problem is with the monitor. On a few occasions I have experienced the monitor flickering very quickly and then going to a black screen. The computer is still running. After I power down and let the computer sit for a while, it runs fine. I noticed that the monitor only does this after being left on for a large amount of time.

I am wondering if heat could be causing this. I believe the eMac is supposed to have a fan in it, but I am not hearing a fan nor is any air blowing out of the back. Should I feel air blowing out of the back of the eMac and is the fan loud enough to hear? Does it even have a fan?

The top of the computer gets awfully hot, but then again, so do the old iMacs.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    did u get it in the last year? if so take it to a apple certified repair place. My sugestion do not use the computer for more than 20 minutes for now. without the fan this could overheat www.apple.com/support
  • Reply 2 of 3
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    You abolutely should be feeling air flow out of the rear of the eMac. That fan cools everything inside your computer - hard drive, CRT, and processor... it's responsible for taking all of the warm air out of the unit. Shut it off and call Apple immediately.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Thanks for all the help. I will pass along the info (as the computer is not mine) and make sure it gets repaired properly. Again, thank you.