Apple's Ridiculous Attention to Detail

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This isn't any tidbit on the technological marvel that is the G5, but rather a note on the extreme attention to detail and "effect" that Apple has had for a long time (minus the countinueing G5/G4/G3 Apple Store specs debacle) with all of its products.

Forget Jonathan Ive, give an award to the video producer of the new G5 quicktime video. If you notice the section about the G5 fabs at Fishkill look closely at the section where the wafers are being stacked by the robotic arm (second time), notice how the fatboy slim song lyrics and the beat correspond exactly to the robot arm and the final placement of the wafers?

Its a wondeful synthesis of audio and video. However, listening to John Rubenstein say "Kick Ass" at the end degrades the whole thing....come on Apple, keep it classy!

This isn't anything glamourous, but I just thought it was cool. Shows how much Apple goes over things with a fine tooth comb (minus the new metal finder of course )

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Now if only they'd pay as close attention to detail with the UI elements in their own software.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I couldn't agree more...who thought Apple would be the one to bastardize the HIG crafted so long ago? Some of those concepts are still better than those utilized by Jaguar and probably Panther today.

How about some freakin' continuity you brushed metal addicts? Less NExt, more Apple please. You've got a great machine, now return the great UI.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Now if only they'd pay as close attention to detail with the UI elements in their own software.

He he. Obviously, the guys who made the clip and those who draw Aqua buttons are different people. What unites them is that they all seem to be artists without much insight on usability.\
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

He he. Obviously, the guys who made the clip and those who draw Aqua buttons are different people. What unites them is that they all seem to be artists without much insight on usability.\

Please tell me why our user support here at work has fallen over 50% since we introduced Mac OS X if it is so unusable.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Please tell me why our user support here at work has fallen over 50% since we introduced Mac OS X if it is so unusable.

I never said it's unusable. There are certain non-trivial issues, over which both experts and amateurs debate hopelessly. One example is Dock, another is new button-like tabs in Panther preview. So, while Mac OS X is worlds better than any version of Windows, it is not ideal, IMHO. That's what I meant.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Maine Road, I watched the wafer stacking bit and the tempo of the robot arm is clearly faster than the background music's.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

I never said it's unusable. There are certain non-trivial issues, over which both experts and amateurs debate hopelessly. One example is Dock, another is new button-like tabs in Panther preview. So, while Mac OS X is worlds better than any version of Windows, it is not ideal, IMHO. That's what I meant.

And it's better than Mac OS Classic.

Btw. I don't get this button like tabs. I like them and the last thing they look like is a button - buttons are pill shaped, and the new tabs have the same form as popup menus.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

And it's better than Mac OS Classic.

Yes. Hardly comparable, I should say.

Quote:

Btw. I don't get this button like tabs. I like them and the last thing they look like is a button - buttons are pill shaped, and the new tabs have the same form as popup menus.

Well, yes. By buttons I meant pop-up buttons as they are called in developer docs. I know it's a matter of taste and getting used to. I also know this won't confuse me. Now how about newbies and switchers? A pop-up button is in fact a menu and is used to select an option from a list. This means action, that is, you make a decision and change something (or choose something else).

Tabs are very different in concept. They serve only to logically separate groups of controls. When you click a tab, nothing great should happen.

Traditionally, tabs never looked like pop-up menus. For some reason, be it good or bad. Millions of people have got used to them and to their appearance on any platform with GUI. Yes, I agree their new look is more consistent with the look of other controls. It's more stylish and more appropriate if you look at the window as though it were a picture. But it is not a picture. It has some practical purpose, part of which is to quickly navigate through different controls.

We may never agree on this. I am not a usability expert. I may have missed something. However, I think that controls of different types (grouping/action/informative etc.) should look differently enough.

PS. Sorry, maybe, we transfer this particular debate over tabs to the appropriate thread?