Does this backup software exist?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I often see backup software that will automatically back up your files to a firewire hard drive or a remote server. But I have a CD-RW drive and it is a pain to organise everything in my home directory into catagories, copy them onto CD-RWs and then put them back to normal every time I want to back up my files.

I'm looking for any software that will split a folder into pieces of 600-700mb and prepare them for being burnt onto CD-RWs and then restore the folder from these disks if there is ever a need to.

Does anyone make software for Mac OS X that can do this?

Andrew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I think retrospect work in a fashion you might be able to utilize.

You might take a look at that.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thank you, yes Dantz Retrospect does look useful, At the moment I'm looking for a demo version to try it out.

Andrew
  • Reply 3 of 4
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SquidThing

Thank you, yes Dantz Retrospect does look useful, At the moment I'm looking for a demo version to try it out.

Andrew

I use retrospect all the time with my DVD-R/CD-RW, it works with either media.

It's great I can make a simple script to back up my selected files and it will prmopt for more disks if it needs them. Restoring from it is super easy too
  • Reply 4 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Doesn't .Mac Backup also do this? And, at $100, you'll get added features over Retrospect's price...

I've got a beef against Dantz anyway... I run MacOS X Server at home for the heck of it, but Dantz crippled Express to explicitly *NOT RUN* on Server. To back up a machine running Server, they want $500 for their super duper special edition... which doesn't add a blasted thing I can use. (Tape jukebox support? Riiiiiiight.) Not to mention that the interface is godawful. I'd recommend it last on just about any backup options list. :/