Hacking iChatAV for < 600MHz G3s... Developers post here :)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
As a Pismo owner with an iBot, this is just irking me. Sure, I may not be able to get great framerates, but I'd like to *try*...

So I'm on a quest to remove this little limitation in the iChat executable.

Here's what I've been able to deduce so far by poking around the binary...

The class UserSetupController is the place to be looking, as far as I can tell. With instance variables such as _noCameraTextField, it looks like the place to be.

Method tabView:didSelectTabViewItem: has method variables _startStopAV, _hardwareCapsNotification, etc.

So... where to from here? Best way to disassemble that method and take a peek inside?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I'm with you man!

I've got an iBook 500 and I'm only 100 less from 600!

It's such a pain! Does apple expect me to buy a whole new computer just to get the video chat?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well, *yeah*.

Okay, further poking around has led me to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/VideoConferencing.framework

Neat stuff. Looks like standard SDP streaming both ways, wrapped in a SOAP envelope??

There's also a vcencoder binary in there that I'm trying to get a feel for what codec it may be using.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    None of us are good enough at programming. My last big stint doing any pure code was working on some old AT&T machines doing PASCAL.