Cannot Connect To Server--cable Modem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Just got adelphia cable modem, tried first with airport snow, didn't work called adelphia support we connected modem to ilMac dv400 slot load by ethernet cable(ehternet to ethernet < > symbol). went through os9.2.2 and 10.2.3. In os 10 tcp/ip gets the ip address the cable support says i should, including submask the pull down lmenu has ethernet and adelphia power link( when i choose ethernet no isp address shows up, when i choose power link isp address shows up) when i try browser (IE5) get error cannot connect to server. we went through multiple reboots, off/on cycles withthe modem even trashed my tcp/ip preferences. went to tier 2 support and still nothing he suggested calling apple support but i'm trying here first. i tried to connect under os9.2.2 and 10.2.3 nothing worked...tried apple support forums and did what they said and nothing has worked

HELP

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    The iMac DV does not have auto-sensing crossover ports, right? If it doesn't, check what kind of cable you are trying to use and post again. (Patch or Crossover)

(No, I don't have a crossover cable fetish, I just ran into sooo many problems with them that I hate them with a passion!) 8)
  • Reply 2 of 11
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    because of where the cable outlet was (i'm eventually trying to get my airport set up in a better place in my house)its about 30 feet from my iMac, so i went to radioshack and got a 50ft ethernet cable and plugged it into the only available slot in the modem and iMac( the ethernet symbol < > on both units. the airport has two ports one with < > and the other with a circle of lines (?wan)

I went to apple support as you can see from my edited text and went through there suggestions and didn't work.

as far as patch vs crossover cable, i'm using an ethernet cable i don't know what patch/crossover means I tried with my airport and had the same problem (plugged it into the ethernet port not the other one)
  • Reply 3 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    If you bought the cable, it is probably patch. Does the internet work in OSX when you get the IP address but not OS9? Some times (in OS9) a default IP address is used for DHCP (169.XXX.XXX.XXX) This IP address is not from the ISP and means the computers are not connecting. Also, you wantto use the WAN port on your Airport hub.

I have finals now, so I gotta go...8)
  • Reply 4 of 11
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    here's a test for crossover vs. patch cable: remove the cable from whereever its connected, and place both ends next to each other. look at the the under side of the heads (the side which allows you to see the wires going right to the tip; opposite the side that has the the plastic bendy clip). if the order of the wires is exactly the same on both wires, then its patch; else its either crossover, or some idiot miswired it. Now the tricky part is half the wires are stripped (white plus some other color), so just because some of them look white doesn't mean they are the same wire (the stripes are frequently not easy to see in the head of the cable). if you aren't sure, but the four solid colors come out both on each side of the head, then its probably patch.

now, the trick is, if the cable that came with your modem is crossover, then you need a cable->crossover->airport connection, and not patch (the radioshack wire, and most wires you buy in a store are patch cables, as Ebby said; I think you can buy crossovers, they just require a bit more effort to find). since its an airport base station (if i read that right), then you should (assuming space enough for its power source) be able to put it right next to the cable modem (with its shorter provided cable).
  • Reply 5 of 11
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    What Mac are you using airport with? Is it set up to use Airport? Did you select the WLAN you want to connect to in the airport menu on the top right of the screen (next to date/time/battery) on the aforementioned machine?

I seriously doubt the ethernet cable is the culprit.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Called and paid the bucks to get apples ideas, we did a lot of things including disk repair in os 10 and 9 with nortons got a few error red messages, she said if nortons didn't help i had to erase my disk, backup everything and reinstall everything.....cha-ching$$$$$$

Frustrated i just wanted broadband, so i took my work laptop with xp pro (dell 8100) long story short i couldn't get on with windows either.... support was called we did the same things we did with the mac and guess what same problem wasn't holding on to the ip address or something, then i said it's got to be on your side sooooooo i asked for a tech to come to the house to install a new modem till it ran, they agreed,

Probable BAD MODEM!!!!!!

will try to swap out this one tomorrow and try again.

I almost sat down and did the clean install, if changing a defective modem does the trick i'm going to call apple and adelphia and let them have it. no one till i said something said anything about problem modems......!!!!!!

i'll keep you up to date

thanks mucho PROBABLE BAD MODEM!!!!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    wait are you plugging your modem into the <-> LAN port on your AirPort? I don't think that will work, the LAN port is meant to be used to connect another desktop machine via physical line to the Airport and still get the connection (remember the Airport is just a wireless router), you connect your uplink (the cable modem) to the WAN port to get wireless access.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I'll try that but today about 1pm i pick up my new modem and try again,with my old modem i couldn't get it to work with my windows xp pro laptop. I can't connect when i connect ehternet cable to imac directly. a fellow imac person at the local adelphia store called and also having trouble, said maybe i need the ethernet update 1.0, but i would think that if i had a ethernet problem on the imac i wouldn't get the ip address also how do i tell what year my slot load imac was made, they have a date restriction on the download, but i'm not even sure this applies to me. will try the new modem with both imac (w/o airport) then windows xp then if nothing later this week a service rep will come and hook it up. it may be on signal side/ adelphia/ modem. it's funny neither will work. cable is just a few weeks old in my town so maybe its growing pains.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    GREAT NEWS--now it works, direct connect to modem with radioshack ethernet cable(not crossover) works, why i don't know. brought my modem back thought it was bad. they checked it out said it was ok, took it home, hooked it up and bingo 2800kbs. i still think

Now that that's working(still don't know why i didn't change anything on my side since we last "talked")

My airport won't connect. The ip address the airport gets is different than direct connect. airport says--169.254.172.207 direct connect 68.168.187.156 i don't think there are any upgrades for the snow abs I did the usual things dragged airport to top of list of configuations under network, used airport admininsator to configure, do you think a hard reset would help? i don't want to do something i can't reverse. how do you know if the abs is working well, i get communication with my imac, and it sees the airport, it will reset etc, show signal strength.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    a 169.x.y.z address almost always means that the item can't hit the dhcp server (or can't get a real address anywhere else). 169's are not valid on the internet. often it means a loose wire, but i have a feeling it might be something else.

you say that you got the cable modem to work when u directly connected it to your computer, right? when you did that (and this may have been the problem before now that i think about it), the modem may have saved the connection information (particularly the mac address) of the computer it successfully hit the internet with. to make the modem work by going through the base station, you probably just have to turn off the cable modem, then unplug the power cable for a minute or two (process called power cycling). then turn it back on, and make sure you connect it directly to the base station's uplink/wan port. then, if the base station still doesn't grab the right address, try restarting it (turn it off->then back on).
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Original Message

(Posted Jul 2, 03 3:38 pm) [ bookmark ] [ mail ] [ reply ]

<http://discussions.info.apple.com/Im...customicon.gif>

iMac 400 DV ABS (snow) 2.0.2

Mac OS X (10.2.x)

640mb IMac dv400 10.2.6 airport-snow. Finally after much work--including bringing back my modem to have adelphia check it out, My imac with ethernet cables got connected--get 2800kbs. When try with airport, i get an appropriate airport ip address 10.0.1.2, good airport signal, my iMac "sees" the airport. went through all the suggestions from apple support outline troubleshoot airport outline, changed appletalk to "on" step xvi "force reconfiguation of ip information"adelphia use dhcp, hooked modem to WAN port. powered down/reconnect ethernet cables/powered up. Powered off / on modem in 1-2 minutes. maybe i need longer to "forget last MAC"

But nothing has worked......help

Eugene R Degiorgio

RE: Airport snow won't work with Cable Modem-

(msg # 1.: Posted Jul 3, 03 1:02 pm) [ edit ] [ delete ] [ bookmark ] [ mail ] [ reply ]

[Overall: None]

<http://discussions.info.apple.com/Im...customicon.gif> [ New ]

YIPPEE--YAHOO GOT IT TO WORK

1.my mac worked with direct ethernet connection but not abs

2.unplugged my cable modem for 24hrs to lose the last MAC address

3.reconfigured my airport with airport administration, unchecked airport, rechecked airport in tcp/ip, as per apple outline for troubleshooting. unchecked all proxies, turned appletalk on put airport to top of configuartion list did all the airport things.....then

4.plugged in ethernet cable to modem powered up modem, launched safari. BINGO

Post Message