Help Please - Sharing files across users

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hopefully this is a simpe question, but it's driving me crazy as I'm trying to set up my new Mac...

I would like to maintain separate user accounts for me and my wife so that we can each feel like it's our own Mac, but I want to share the iTunes and iPhoto files across users...

I did it with iPhoto by pointing my photo library to my wife's picture folder (which I shared), but when I try to do the same in iTunes, the songs don't appear in her library unless I click on each one...(fine for now, but after I add a few thousand this will become more than a minor chore)...

Is there a simpler way to maintain separate user accounts, but still have the same itunes and iPhoto libraries (updated and accurate).

Sure, I could maintain 2 copies of each file, but that will eat my HD space VERY fast...

Any assistance is appreciated!!! Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    [deleted complicated answer]

Your best bet is to use an external Firewire HD for MP3s and photos, and plug it in. For a better solution, it would involve re-partitioning your HD into two chunks, one for MP3s (with sharing enabled or whatever on it) and one for OSX and your home folders.

Lemme know which way you want to go, and if you want the second route, how big your HD is (and what kind of Mac).
  • Reply 2 of 3
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    In users there is a folder called "shared" any file collection there ought to works well.

Otherwise any volume apart from the booting volume is unprotected by OS X. A USB pen drive a zip disk or an other hard disk and even a partition of the primary HD is shared like any disk were in OS 9.

If you have a tower get the mp3 and phote collection on a second HD they are very cheap and when that HD gets ful you to not have to mess with the HD were you have your OS and all applications but simply add a third HD
  • Reply 3 of 3
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    yeah... Yeah! What he said!