iPod + iPhone + GigaWire

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Lets start with some info provided from the (tm) databases.

---------------------------------------------------------------

iPod:

=====

Class: 9

- Computers, computer hardware, computer peripherals, hand held computers, personal digital assistants, electronic organisers, electronic notepads, apparatus for recording, transmission and reproduction of sounds, images, or other data;

- magnetic data carriers;

- mobile digital electronic devices, telephones, computer gaming machines, microprocessors, memories boards, monitors, displays, keyboards, cables, modems, printers, videophones, disk drives, cameras;

- computer software, prerecorded computer programs for personal information management, database management software, character recognition software, telephony management software, electronic mail and messaging software, paging software, database synchronization software, computer programs for accessing, browsing and searching online databases, computer software and firmware, namely operating system programs, data synchronization programs, and application development tool programs for personal and handheld computers;

- electronic handheld devices for the wireless receipt and/or transmission of data, particularly messages, and devices that enable the user to keep track of or manage personal information;

- software for the redirection of messages, Internet e-mail, and/or other data to one or more electronic handheld devices from a data store on or associated with a personal computer or a server;

- and software for the synchronization of data between a remote station or device and a fixed or remote station or device;

- computer hardware and peripherals

Class: 28

- Games and playthings, namely, electronic games, hand-held electronic games and apparatus

Class: 38

- Communication and telecommunication services, providing access to web sites on the Internet: delivery of digital music by telecommunications, providing wireless telecommunications via electronic communications networks, wireless digital messaging, paging services, and electronic mail services, including services that enable a user to send and/or receive messages through a wireless data network;

- one-way and two-way paging services

Gigawire:

=========

IC 038. US 100 101 104. G & S:

- Telecommunication services;

- cellular telephone communication;

- Communication by computer terminals, communication by telephone, facsimile transmission;

- providing of electronic mail (E-Mail);

- computer aided transmission of messages and images;

- communication between computer peripherals and devices;

- information about telecommunication.

IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S:

- electrical and electronic equipment;

- computer hardware;

- computer firmware;

- computers;

- computer peripheral devices;

- handheld computers;

- telephones, mobile telephones, communication devices;

- telecommunications equipment and devices;

- wireless information devices;

- computer software programs;

- computer operating system programs;

- computer utility programs;

- computer application programs;

- computer software for the design, development, modeling, simulation, compiling, de-bugging, verification, construction and interfacing of electrical and electronic equipment, integrated circuits, cables and connectors all for use with computers, telecommunications equipment and devices, or computer peripheral devices;

- parts and fittings for all the aforesaid goods.

iPhone:

=======

- Computer hardware and software

- Communication by computer;

- communication between computers;

- rental and rental of communication apparatus and electronic post fans for personal use;

- electronic news services;

- electronic sending of data and stands on Internet or other data bank;

- supply of data and news by electronic sending;

- obtaining of access for electronic news services relating to here by shop of information and data on the Internet

Class: 42

- Computer services;

- development and sale of media for use in computer networks, cable in bulk networks and worldwide communication networks;

- web site hosting;

- woven -site- hosting;

- software leasing;

- advisory services relating to computers, software electronics, telecommunication, security and -authentisierung-;

- enable of information, computer networks, cable in bulk networks and worldwide communication networks;

- advisory services and computer technical support services, computer networks, software and computer operated stands management and -workgroup-assembly on computer networks and worldwide communication networks;

- enable of software updating by computer networks and worldwide - komunikationsnetzwerke-;

- enable of on line magazine in area of computers and computer software

Dave

[ 12-10-2002: Message edited by: DaveGee ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Interesting no? If after reading all of that people still think Gigawire is gonna be the name for Firewire II ... well I don't know what else to say.

Okay now that I'm done with my Gigawire != FW rant lets look at the iPod.

The (tm) text (below) was found right before (a day or two?) the iPod was released. Needless to say I was so unimpressed with what I finally saw upon it's release...

Heck who wouldn't be? Just read it again:

[quote]

iPod:

=====

- Computers, computer hardware, computer peripherals, hand held computers, personal digital assistants, electronic organisers, electronic notepads, apparatus for recording, transmission and reproduction of sounds, images, or other data;

- magnetic data carriers;

- mobile digital electronic devices, telephones, computer gaming machines, microprocessors, memories boards, monitors, displays, keyboards, cables, modems, printers, videophones, disk drives, cameras;

- computer software, prerecorded computer programs for personal information management, database management software, character recognition software, telephony management software, electronic mail and messaging software, paging software, database synchronization software, computer programs for accessing, browsing and searching online databases, computer software and firmware, namely operating system programs, data synchronization programs, and application development tool programs for personal and handheld computers;

- electronic handheld devices for the wireless receipt and/or transmission of data, particularly messages, and devices that enable the user to keep track of or manage personal information;

- software for the redirection of messages, Internet e-mail, and/or other data to one or more electronic handheld devices from a data store on or associated with a personal computer or a server;

- and software for the synchronization of data between a remote station or device and a fixed or remote station or device;

- computer hardware and peripherals

Class: 28

- Games and playthings, namely, electronic games, hand-held electronic games and apparatus

- Communication and telecommunication services, providing access to web sites on the Internet: delivery of digital music by telecommunications, providing wireless telecommunications via electronic communications networks, wireless digital messaging, paging services, and electronic mail services, including services that enable a user to send and/or receive messages through a wireless data network;

- one-way and two-way paging services

<hr></blockquote>

What did I (we) see at the iPod introduction? Not that cool device as detailed above but instead an expensive mp3 player. Yea, I *still* got one but boy was I bummed...

Then I (and many others) got to thinking...

Why call it iPod? Not a very music related name now was it... then the updates started...

- Breakout game found (hmmm that was kinda interesting)

Then a little later

- Contact support ... crude at first but it was a start

Now with the Summer updates+jag we have...

- iCard / Contact support (much better)

- iCal / Calendar support

- iSync support

Boy oh boy... the iPod that I once hated is starting to look more and more like that (tm) text isn't it?

Go ahead re-read it if you like... If things continue on this path that text is telling us what the future will bring.

Now look at the iPhone and Gigawire (tm) and tell me if you don't think that they fit right in with the 'grand vision' of the iPod.

Given the form factor of the iPod I still don't see how it can totally 'morph' into the 'grand vision' but I almost think it has to...

Anyone else wanna chime in?

Dave

[ 12-10-2002: Message edited by: DaveGee ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 8
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    THe ipod is a good computer, and as such will no doubt get upgraded a long as possible and popular, which it still is
  • Reply 3 of 8
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    One remark though: I think it is a fallacy to claim that Apple will extend the functionality of its products to include all they are trademarked for: the trademark is meant primarily to prevent others from making a product by that name with those characteristics (the reason they choose this very wide being the fact that these are all functions that are close to one another).
  • Reply 4 of 8
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I think the ipod should be reduced in size to the shape of a square. Then Apple could release attachments for it the snap into the firewire port, like a camera, phone (with intergrated number pad and wireless headset), etc.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>I think the ipod should be reduced in size to the shape of a square. Then Apple could release attachments for it the snap into the firewire port, like a camera, phone (with intergrated number pad and wireless headset), etc.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I kinda thought this is how the iPod would work... A transplantable brain if you will... but then Apple went and changed the size so now we have few different thicknesses between the 5 10 and 20GB versions. Then again it doesn't stop them from still doing it given most of the dimentions are still the same...

As for the 'exact' (tm) text... I agree Apple doesn't have to and most likly wont do ALL of what it says but it still give us a pretty good idea the direction they are heading.

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 8
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i was wondering when someone would make these connections (god knows i've been trying to remind people of what apple trademarked with all of this, but the internet generation has the attention span of a flea...).

anyway, also figure in IP over Firewire (see Maury McCown's brief impressions on this front <a href="http://www.railheaddesign.com/pages/oldNews/2002/12_December_2002/ending_12_06_2002.html"; target="_blank">here.</a> wow, suddenly putting firewire on even the 5 gig iPod back in the day is making more sense.

one question i gotta ask, though -- you want to make it SMALLER?!?! i've played with the iPod in the store, and i already find the screen really small. enough to see menus, but that's it. i can't see how it could get smaller without becoming more difficult to use (and people better not cite a blackberry keyboard as a solution - i will flame you 'til kingdom come).

and yes, a lot of people scratched their heads over why an "mp3 player" was given such a generic name as "iPod." sure, you could put files on it, but it sounded SO open-ended that you just had to wonder.

no with 20 gb under the hood, it has loads of promise.

one more thing: everyone keeps saying how "great" it would be to have the address book on your iPod, with picture of your friends in there. how many people have actually gone to the trouble of finding/taking/scanning in picture of their friends to add to their respective address books? sounds cute in theory, but WAY tedious in practice.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by rok:

<strong>one more thing: everyone keeps saying how "great" it would be to have the address book on your iPod, with picture of your friends in there. how many people have actually gone to the trouble of finding/taking/scanning in picture of their friends to add to their respective address books? sounds cute in theory, but WAY tedious in practice.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It does now but if you had a cell phone with a cam in it... The next time you see your friend it would take all but a second.

Dave
  • Reply 8 of 8
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    [quote]Originally posted by DaveGee:

<strong>

It does now but if you had a cell phone with a cam in it... The next time you see your friend it would take all but a second.

Dave</strong><hr></blockquote>

I do this presently with my SE T300 phone. i took pics of most of the people in my address book so when they call my phone their faces pop up. It's gimicky but still...