Sun to buy Pixo.. futurw ipod rammifications?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Sun Microsystems to buy Pixo

JUNE 27, 2003

SUN Microsystems said it has definitively agreed to acquire Pixo, a privately held software company, in an all-cash deal.

Financial terms weren't disclosed for the deal, which is expected to close in the Sun fiscal first quarter ending September 30.

Sun said Pixo sells software that helps companies manage the distribution of games, ring tones and other digital content to cell phones and other mobile devices.

The acquisition is expected to aid Sun's strategy of expanding its Java programming technology. Java is a layer of software found on high-end cell phones that lets programmers design software that works in different phone platforms.

Distribution software of Pixo also lets companies evaluate a user's download history to selectively pitch certain games or newly released related products.

-------------

I wonder how this will affect ipods in the future..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    No implications whatsoever.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

No implications whatsoever.

Unless Pixo goes down with the rest of the ship.

A similar thing happened to @home.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 4 of 7
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    down the road...Apple aquire Sun?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Did Pixio write the software for the new iPod? According to Apple, the new iPod runs on a different hardware platform and uses a different OS. This is their excuse for not adding all the new software features to the old iPod.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kecksy

Did Pixio write the software for the new iPod? According to Apple, the new iPod runs on a different hardware platform and uses a different OS. This is their excuse for not adding all the new software features to the old iPod.

I heard this also. More specifically, I heard that Apple wrote their own. I suspect that Pixo was leverage to get to market very quickly. Once they had written their own...goodbye Pixo.

It might have been courteous for them to just buy Pixo. But there may be reasons they chose not to. Or perhaps they tried but Pixo was too greedy. Not an uncommon afflication in the technology business.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    And Pixo has been moving away from the straight handheld software market into more Java-based and communications software, which doesn't fit iPod very well. Pixo is also composed of lots of former Apple folks.