iTunes & G5

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
This may sound stupid to many, but does anyone have an idea of what the G5 will encode AACs at. I do a lot of ripping of songs (for fully LEGAL purposes) and was wondering cause I get 5.5-7.2x on my iBook 800 and I know that the G5 would be higher, but how much? Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    medialabmedialab Posts: 19member
    I would imagine the limiting factor in the G5 would be the superdrive. While they are great DVD burners, they aren't the fastest CD-ROM drives around. Even with the fantastic new processor and internal bandwidth, I'd guess you'd max out at about 9-12X ripping speeds.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    If you got an external FW Drive, that would be like 35X.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    So it would probably max out at 35-40x. So, if I got a combo drive instead of a Superdrive (God forbid!) it would be 32x. Agan, thanks!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Actually, both drives read at 32x.

From the horse's mouth:

Quote:

All Power Mac G5 systems include a Super Drive (DVD-R/CD-RW) or the option of a Combo drive. Below are specifications to help you choose the optical drive to fit your needs:

Combo ("Combination") drives (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) have the capability of creating music and data CDs and reading DVD disks. The drive writes to CD-R at 32x and CD-RW at 10x, reads DVDs at 8x, and reads CDs at 32x. The drive supports CD-ROM, CD-Audio, CD-R, CD-RW, CDI, CD Bridge, CD Extended, CD Mixed Mode, Photo CD, DVD-Video, and DVD-ROM media.

Apple's revolutionary SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW) allows you to create music and data CDs, read DVDs, and create DVD data discs and DVD-video discs for playback on most standard DVD players. Along with Apple's iDVD software (included on systems with SuperDrive) your Power Mac G5 is a full-featured DVD authoring studio. The SuperDrive reads DVDs at 12x, writes to DVD-R at 4x, reads CDs at 32x, writes to CD-R at 16x, and writes to CD-RW at 10x. The drive supports CD-ROM, CD-Audio, CD-R, CD-RW, CDI, CD Bridge, CD Extended, CD Mixed Mode, Photo CD, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, and DVD-R media.

• Reply 5 of 5
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by medialab

I would imagine the limiting factor in the G5 would be the superdrive. While they are great DVD burners, they aren't the fastest CD-ROM drives around. Even with the fantastic new processor and internal bandwidth, I'd guess you'd max out at about 9-12X ripping speeds.

i would hope it would be faster then this...i get 9-11 at work on a 933MHz G4 with a superdrive