New non OS9 bootable macs

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
When I was doing a clean install of Jaguar, I noticed that there was a feature asking me whether I wanted to install drivers which permit me to install OS 9. If I didn't check it, I wouldn't have been able to install OS 9

Could the new macs just lack the ability to install this hard disk drive driver?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    quickquick Posts: 227member
    [quote]Originally posted by stevegongrui:

<strong>When I was doing a clean install of Jaguar, I noticed that there was a feature asking me whether I wanted to install drivers which permit me to install OS 9.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You are able to install OS9, I guess. But you can not boot into OS9 without the drivers. You may however use it in classic mode. I have not tried it though.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    [quote]Originally posted by Quick:

<strong>

You are able to install OS9, I guess. But you can not boot into OS9 without the drivers. You may however use it in classic mode. I have not tried it though.</strong><hr></blockquote>

There's no current Mac that won't boot 9.x.

Apple has said that Classic will be around for some time yet, with or without bootability.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    [quote]Originally posted by stevegongrui:

<strong>

. . . Could the new macs just lack the ability to install this hard disk drive driver?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think what you are asking is whether the future Macs, which cannot boot into OS 9, will simply prevent a HDD driver from being installed. I am pretty sure the answer is no, but I am not an expert. Most seem to think it will be a firmware change.