Dual Processor Aware Apps???

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
OK, back before Monday I was really hoping for a middle of the line dual processor tower, but now it seems that isn't an option and that dual processor config is on hell of a premium. My question is, where is a good, current list of applications that are multiprocessor aware? This will likely be the deciding factor in what kind of Mac I buy, and I can't find an up to date list anywhere on the web.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Mac OS X is multi-processor aware at the system level, and having used both dual and single CPU G4 configurations, I can safely say I will not be reverting to a single CPU system again. It was just too painful, as I'm used to have the system do lots of tasks at once, and I can get away with that on my box.

Most apps do not need to specifically take advantage of multiple processors. A better question for you to ask would be, "Why do I need multiple processors and what apps do I use that I think might benefit from that?"

I only wish Apple would ship a box with more than two CPUs, and offer processor configuration like what I can do on an SGI box...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Instead of questioning your intelligence by asking you why you feel you need a multi-machine, I'll just give you a link. Hope this helps!:

http://www.sciencequest.org/support/...p_tracker.html

...oh, and Avid Xpress DV 3.5.

EDIT: Okay, so that list isn't very current, but it's better than nothing. \
  • Reply 3 of 9
    craig12cocraig12co Posts: 106member
    I don't do video editing or anything. I know I'd get a nice snappy Finder, and iTunes, but I am not sure either of those are enough to justify the $600 difference in price. I was hoping I would see on a list somewhere a few other apps that could combine to help me not feel guilty if I got the dual 2GHz
  • Reply 4 of 9
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Don't you think you'd get a snappy Finder etc with any G5--after all the G5 in any config offers a performance upgrade over any dual processor machine Apple sells today.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    craig12cocraig12co Posts: 106member
    Correction: snappIER than a single processor
  • Reply 6 of 9
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Before Monday a 1.4GHZ PM was the fastest machine Apple offered. Any new G5 looks like it will beat the 1.4GHZ machine in terms of processing power (especially FP and Altivec), memory throughput, hard drive throughput, noise levels (quieter) and memory capability.

What you do loose are some expandability options and a few more $$$ from your pocket.

If you're not doing anything compute bound, I don't see how the second processor is really going to make your day, unless you're going to be ripping mp3s and DVDs all day, each and every day.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Dual processors are very much a professional feature. On Silicon Graphics workstations, if I was running Flame for instance, I could configure each processor to be responsible for performing specific tasks. It's actually quite marvelous.

Not to get off on too much of a tangent though...

Having dual processors will not necessarily make things faster, rather it will allow you to do more things at once. For me, even doing day to day tasks in X, I notice the difference between single and dual CPUs. Whenever I use a single CPU system I am shocked at how quickly the machine slows down when attempting to do a lot of tasks simultaneously; I'm just used to having two processors balance out the load.

If you're not going to be doing any video, 3D, or intense computations, and you don't have a problem with single processor systems as is, you're not really justified in forking out the extra cash for a dual CPU system. What apps are you really expecting to be optimized for dual processors? Office? As I said, dual processors are a professional feature.

It sounds to me like you're trying to find a way to convince yourself to spend the $600; that is, you really want to, but just want to have some sort of peace of mind.

I'll tell you this, even when I'm not running LightWave or Combustion, I notice the advantage of multiple CPUs because I can multitask much more. But that is me. You still haven't mentioned what apps you tend to use, and why you think you would want to take advantage of multiple processors.

Answer those questions first: Determine the need, as that will lead to the reason. You're kind of doing it backwards, by looking for an excuse to create a need.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    All apps have the potential to benefit from dual processors, essentially.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by craig12co

I was hoping I would see on a list somewhere a few other apps that could combine to help me not feel guilty if I got the dual 2GHz

You made me smile. Here's a good justifier, it's the best priced Tower. All others are too expensive for what you are getting. Perhaps by intention on Apple's part. Those bastards! Hooey... an army of dual 2GHz 64-bit G5's coming your way PC world.