Setting the Default Application

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Now that I have 3 partitions, 10.2.6, 10.3, data. I am having some problems opening files.

When in 10.2.6, it is trying to use textedit 1.3 instead of 1.2. Which wont work cos 1.3 is the version that comes with panther and it is looking for the wrong functions in the cocoa libraries.

How do I set this and others back to the correct version.

PS, When I right click and choose "open with" both versions are displayed but 1.3 is the default.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    knight26knight26 Posts: 12member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

Now that I have 3 partitions, 10.2.6, 10.3, data. I am having some problems opening files.

When in 10.2.6, it is trying to use textedit 1.3 instead of 1.2. Which wont work cos 1.3 is the version that comes with panther and it is looking for the wrong functions in the cocoa libraries.

How do I set this and others back to the correct version.

PS, When I right click and choose "open with" both versions are displayed but 1.3 is the default.

To change the default application for a file just do a "Get Info" on the file and go the the "Open with:" option. In there you will be able to choose which application you want that file to be opened with. If after choosing an application you want all other similar files to open with the same application click on the "Change all" button.

This will allow you to set all of the same types of files to be opned by your choice of applications without any problems.

Hope this helps.

one question though, where/how did you get your hands on 10.3? Is that just the developer release?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    thanks.

edited: comment regarding software piracy. FYI, posts along these lines and the threads that contain them will be deleted.

-alcimedes