**@##* monopoly position!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
im real fed up with this arrogant stupid Macintosh.

Im dying to switch from my pc to a mac.

but what options are there?:

a buying a Powermac G4, according to many way too noisy

b. buying a Powermac G5, which i really cant afford.

whats with that?

Why wont other computerfirms build a mac copy. Im for sure that will make Macintosh a lot more clientfriendly.

The G4 seems like a great machine for me, but buying it knowing i will have to moderate the fans myself. pleassseee.

sorry

bart

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    I'm guessing you mean "Microsoft," not "Macintosh," otherwise you wouldn't be wanting to switch.

What kind of work do you do on your computer? Are you sure an iMac isn't right for you?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    welcome to the world of computing

hows that MS monopoly working for ya?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    stezstez Posts: 4member
    im getting into the dtp business. so i really want a power mac.

MS is not the same . ok they have a monopoly on there platform , but theres a zillion brands to choose youre computer from.

All macintosh is offering is there own hardware system.

just doesnt seem fair. especially when they confront me with the 2 crappy buying options mentioned above
  • Reply 4 of 13
    isegwayisegway Posts: 133member
    I agree, Stez. Both choices are pretty lame. Both alternatives have tremendous advantages and disadvantages. To really have it made you need both systems.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    Or you can pick up used/refurbished PowerMac.

These are cheaper and i'm sure now lots of folks are selling QuickSilvers to make room for G5.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    skunkskunk Posts: 12member
    I tend to agree: buy a dual 1 GHz, one from before Apple went through the noise barrier. Should be fast enough for almost anything, really. Spend the savings on drugs. Chill out.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    the G4's that were noisey had an issue with the power supply. i know that on the initial "loud" models that shipped, Apple will send out a free replacement power supply and fan, which drasticly cuts down on noise.

i would also assume that any new G4 that you buy would already have this new power supply in place, and therefore wouldn't be nearly as noisey.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    i, fredi, fred Posts: 125member
    http://www.2khappyware.com/

Join this guy's mailing list, and keep your fingers crossed. He was making legit Mac clones until Apple squeezed his mobo supplier.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I heard that the single 1.25 ghz machines are a lot quieter than the previous g4 models.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stez

im real fed up with this arrogant stupid Macintosh.

Im dying to switch from my pc to a mac.

but what options are there?:

If you get a late-model G4, such as the one they're currently offering, they're not exactly quiet, but they're a lot quieter than the original "leaf blower" machines.

Alternately, if you can find an old Quicksilver, those are powerful enough, and quiet as well.

Or you can think different and look at an iMac, or a portable. You don't have to worry so much about upgradeability on this side of the fence.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by stez

Have you actually gone to an Apple Store and listened to a PowerMac G4? You need to realize that most people complaining about the noise of the G4 were used to dead-silent machines, so in comparison it's too noisy.

However, I don't think they are any more noisy than a similar PC (which you should be used to). I'd check it out in person if I were you.

John
  • Reply 12 of 13
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Monopoly? Apple is NOT a monopoly, just an FYI.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    The 1.6 G5 looks pretty afordable from where I am sitting. If you are going into the DTP business then even more so. I mean, a few years ago you woulda got a whole lot less kit for a whole lot more money. Stop whining. If you're business can't afford a proper computer, you shouldnet be in 'business'. Just count your lucky penies that you are not in the 'printing business', the cost of kit gets a whole lot more expensive over there.