New Serial ATAs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was just wondering who the manufacturer is of the serial ata drives in the new G5's. I know that the Seagates suck; they run waaaaaay too hot, and the performance is below that of comparable 133/ATA drives.

It sure would have been neat if Apple had included the option of getting a Raptor 10,000RPM drive, which storage wise maxes out at 36.x GB, and runs hot, but offers superb performance.

Anyway, just wondering. I hope they'll be western digitals, possibly maxtors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The Seagates do not suck, and they run really quiet and cool. I don't know where you're getting your info from, but I have a Serial ATA Barracuda V in my PC right now.

Apple's not shipping the G5 yet, so it could be any manufacturer(s). Seagate and Maxtor currently ship 7200 RPM Serial ATA HDDs. Western Digital and Hitachi will be by the time the G5 ships too.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    maxcom29maxcom29 Posts: 44member
    No way dude. You can almost burn your hand when touching those things. My best friend got one for his P4 2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB with HT, which he hooked up directly to the mobo, and they were all but cool. Anyway, if you don't believe me check out some reviews at newegg.com.

Hope this works:

http://secure.newegg.com/app/Custrat...tem=22-148-014

Some reviews state that it is also quite loud during reading/writing, which I cannot backup, it sounded quiet in my friends setup.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    According to Apple in his PDF file about G5 performance the SATA is up 42 % better than ata 133 in single disk configuration.

PC ATA 133 read : 42,4 write 34,7

SATA G5 : read : 54,3 write 56,3

These are very good performances.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maxcom29

Anyway, if you don't believe me check out some reviews at newegg.com.

http://secure.newegg.com/app/Custrat...tem=22-148-014

Some reviews state that it is also quite loud during reading/writing, which I cannot backup, it sounded quiet in my friends setup.

I know nothing of this drive, but just have a comment on the reviews you linked to, where the users rate the drive on a scale of 1-5.

Out of 10 reviews, we have four 5 ratings, and one 4. They love it.

Out of the remaining 5, two are from the same person, who gave it a 3. So we really have only three people giving it a rating of 3 and one guy giving it a 2.

The person giving it a 2 rating doesn't count, because he is obviously a mentally challeged dolt. He gives the drive a bad rating because he didn't have a proper power cable.

Three people post 3/5 ratings on this drive since MARCH and from this you say the drive sucks. I hope you have some better info than this if you want to convince anyone here that it does inded "suck".

People who order the drive and are happy with it are FAR less likely to go back and post a review of the drive. If you ask me, this review page indicates there are not many people that are having problems with the drive at all.

Isn't it possible your friend just got a faulty drive? I bought an iBook 2 days ago that had a broken latch and trackpad... I don't think Apple makes crappy computers though, I'll just get another. Shit happens.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

I know nothing of this drive, but just have a comment on the reviews you linked to, where the users rate the drive on a scale of 1-5.

Out of 10 reviews, we have four 5 ratings, and one 4. They love it.

Out of the remaining 5, two are from the same person, who gave it a 3. So we really have only three people giving it a rating of 3 and one guy giving it a 2.

The person giving it a 2 rating doesn't count, because he is obviously a mentally challeged dolt. He gives the drive a bad rating because he didn't have a proper power cable.

Three people post 3/5 ratings on this drive since MARCH and from this you say the drive sucks. I hope you have some better info than this if you want to convince anyone here that it does inded "suck".

People who order the drive and are happy with it are FAR less likely to go back and post a review of the drive. If you ask me, this review page indicates there are not many people that are having problems with the drive at all.

Isn't it possible your friend just got a faulty drive? I bought an iBook 2 days ago that had a broken latch and trackpad... I don't think Apple makes crappy computers though, I'll just get another. Shit happens.

Well it's very difficult to make one's opininion with these kinds of rating, where people compare apple to orange. In an another thread we pointed out that the benchmarks are inherently biased. I just point out, that if professional benchmarks are biased, free opinions from a bunch of people represent almost nothing. Perhaps some opinions are better than nothing at all, but i would not make my opinion on this.

In a different note, these kind of test exist for golf clubs. My ping I3+ are well rated, like my wood 3 and great big bertha2, but personally i will rate them more, the day i play well than the day i play badly.

I have selled my old ERC 2 for the great big bertha 2, there wasn't a big difference until a learn a couple of lessons that improved my drive much more than the change of driver.

In short : personal opinions of a few people are essentially based upon subjectivity, something that should not enter in consideration (except for the loud) when you choose an HD.

Last point SATA is great for RAID, because it's raid ready, you just have two HD of the same size, use the proper software and voila it's work. You do not need to spend your money in a PCI card.

Next week i will order some new G5, and i will BTO my server with two SATA HD to make them work in mirroring.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    deestardeestar Posts: 105member
    Quote:

I was just wondering who the manufacturer is of the serial ata drives in the new G5's. I know that the Seagates suck; they run waaaaaay too hot, and the performance is below that of comparable 133/ATA drives.

It sure would have been neat if Apple had included the option of getting a Raptor 10,000RPM drive, which storage wise maxes out at 36.x GB, and runs hot, but offers superb performance.

Anyway, just wondering. I hope they'll be western digitals, possibly maxtors.

Check out page 15 on this pdf, it has the spec of the tested dual 2ghz model tested by Veritest and the hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda 120gb, 7200rpm.

G5 Benchmark PDF from Veritest
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by deestar

Check out page 15 on this pdf, it has the spec of the tested dual 2ghz model tested by Veritest and the hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda 120gb, 7200rpm.

G5 Benchmark PDF from Veritest

There isn't any seagate 120 GB HD in any G5 tower. Page 15 refer to the spec of the dell dimension 650 and his ATA 100 HD.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    alexanderalexander Posts: 206member
    Quote:

No way dude. You can almost burn your hand when touching those things. My best friend got one for his P4 2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB with HT, which he hooked up directly to the mobo, and they were all but cool.

Sounds like you've got a case of insufficient cooling (or possibly, I suppose, a bad drive). Hope your friend doesn't have any important data on that drive.