G5/Panther: Is classic finally dead?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have been told that the new G5 machines won't even allow you to use "Classic." Also, if that's the case...whats up with that?

(Yeah short post, but what more can I say?)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Myst

I have been told that the new G5 machines won't even allow you to use "Classic." Also, if that's the case...whats up with that?

I say good call. OS 9 is dead in Apple's eyes, so at some point they need to tell people to upgrade or stick with the old stuff. The longer you let people get away with having old and outdated software, the longer they will. Apple could wait 30 years to kill Classic, and even then you'd still have people bitching.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Nah. From http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html:

Quote:

The PowerPC G5, however, offers a seamless transition to 64-bit performance: Current 32-bit code ? such as Mac OS X, the Mac OS 9 Classic environment and existing applications ? runs natively at processor speed. With no interruptions to your workflow. And no additional investment in software required, period.

In addition, at the Apple store it says the G5 comes with "Classic environment" software.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    palterpalter Posts: 98member
    [Edit: Excuse the duplication of BRussell's information. I was editing my reply while he posted his own...]

Not correct.

From Apple's PowerMac G5 Technical Overview, page 8:
    Quote:

With the PowerPC G5, the transition to 64-bit performance is seamless: Current 32-bit code?such as existing Mac OS X and Classic applications?runs natively at processor speed, with no interruptions to your workflow and no additional investment in software.

And from the list of included software in the same document's Product Configurations and Options, page 29:
    Quote:

Mac OS X, Mail, iChat, Safari, Sherlock, Address Book, QuickTime, iLife (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, and iDVD), iSync, iCal, DVD Player, and Classic environment; Acrobat Reader, Art Directors Toolkit, EarthLink, FAXstf, FileMaker Pro Trial, GraphicConverter, Microsoft Office v. X Test Drive, OmniGraffle, OmniOutliner, QuickBooks for Mac New User Edition, and Developer Tools

• Reply 4 of 12
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    One of the features of Panther that I saw somewhere said that there is a classic monitor menu... just like Classic Spy (the freeware app). This, along with what the others said, completely debunks this 'no classic' FUD.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Since the System Folder takes up 158 megs what would be the point?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Myst

To lock out Mac OS 9 apps would be ludicrous at this point in time. I for one am not ready to give up WarCraft II just yet. This game will never be ported to OS X and you can bet there are many apps in the same camp.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

To lock out Mac OS 9 apps would be ludicrous at this point in time. I for one am not ready to give up WarCraft II just yet. This game will never be ported to OS X and you can bet there are many apps in the same camp.

Premature deadification. Don't want that!

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Premature deadification. Don't want that!

There's been a lot of that lately. Must be cause by the G5 excitement.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

G5/Panther: Is classic finally dead?

We can certainly hope so, can't we?

Haven't touched the hideous thing (OS 9/Classic) in over a year, except at work (sigh), but even that's about to change in the coming months...

I wouldn't expect Apple to continue supporting the two operating systems. At some point, you draw the line and move forward. Everyone that wants to come along, great. Those that don't can still use their stuff and get work done as they always have.

You've got Microsoft, Adobe and - finally - Quark on board with OS X native stuff. The stuff everyone uses.

No more excuses. It's time.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

We can certainly hope so, can't we?

Haven't touched the hideous thing (OS 9/Classic) in over a year, except at work (sigh), but even that's about to change in the coming months...

Errr... I'm thinking you are confusing being able to boot up into OS 9 vs being able to USE Classic apps within OS X. The original question was if Apple was killing the ability to use Classic apps with OS X.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Errr...so? My answer still stands: I don't want to. And neither does anyone I know. And anyone with the X native apps...why would they want to?

Classic = 9, for all intents and purposes. Whether you're booting directly into it or running it from within X, same OS...just a different way of accessing it.

Again, I was under the impression that nearly everything used by pros and consumers alike was pretty much X native at this point (okay, maybe some ultra-obscure, genre-specific utility or shareware, or perhaps even someone has some sort of sentimental connection to a particular title and isn't quite ready to let it go or find a replacement).

NOTE: BTW, not really looking for a list of stuff that isn't. I've already admitted that perhaps 2% of things might NOT be yet, so I don't need to hear about a freaky-ass game or meteor-identifying shareware utility that only 13 people on the planet use. That's not my point...

Just kidding.

After a while - especially if it's obvious that that particular software is never going to "go X" - maybe people should look around to other solutions? Tons of them out there and I've stumbled across some really good, well-written stuff in the past year or so.

I've certainly had to find some X-native replacements for a couple of print design-specific utilities and apps that I used for 7 or so years, before OS X came along.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Errr...so?

Errr... because one is different from the other. But I get you viewpoint on the subject.