Gateway's WiFi DVD player

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Gateway is going to sell a DVD player that sits on a WiFi network:

Quote:

Aside from accepting regular DVDs, the player will work with Ethernet or 802.11b wireless home networks to fetch MP3 files or digital photos from one or more PCs in a home.

http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-1021838.html?tag=fd_top

I think it looks pretty cool, but I doubt this works with Macs. If something like this could play most audio and photo files, and perhaps compressed video files (802.11g?), it would be a killer product. Imagine the iApps working with something like this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Gateway is going to sell a DVD player that sits on a WiFi network:

http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-1021838.html?tag=fd_top

I think it looks pretty cool, but I doubt this works with Macs. If something like this could play most audio and photo files, and perhaps compressed video files (802.11g?), it would be a killer product. Imagine the iApps working with something like this.

Many things are going WiFi

Check THIS offering from HP out. It is for PC only from what I understand.

WiFi security cameras and other types of applications are starting to crop up.

WiFi is cool!

Fellows
  • Reply 2 of 3
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    "cool". well at least you didn't say "awesome" (usually misspelled "awsome").
  • Reply 3 of 3
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member

It figures. Gateway is "reachin" for anything to pull themselves up out the gutter. In many areas this industry is lost. I'm all for WiFi...but the products have to be applicable. My DVD sits just fine in my Entertainment Center and I have no problem with a "wired" connection. I guess I'll reserve final judgement for when I see the device. I just don't think the Critical Masses are going to need a DVD player that is remote.